Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you installed higher wattage bulbs (regardsless of make) more than 1 year ago? Does the wiring and the harness hold up ok? Doing this in my 9004 crippled '93 Maxima fried the connectors (could not handle the extra current I had to make a custom harness with dedicated relays to fix those).

Also, today I noticed Honda installed some kind of grease on the H4 bulb connectors. I have been trying to find out for the longest time what kind of grease protects the connectors, yet conducts current rather than acts as an isolator. The grease on the bulbs looks like phono lube. Any one have any ideas? Brands? Places to buy?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Best regards,
John

·
Registered
244 Posts
John vdP,
Try Calling Competition Limited, 734-464-1458
They market high watt bulbs and wiring harnesses. I would not gamble on stock Honda to do the job.
Mark

·
Registered
596 Posts
Betcha those bulbs which fried your stuff were also NOT street legal. Yes, no? There are legal (50 state) bulbs, such as the PIAA offerings which are much better than OE, of course, at a price. If you buy cheap, you get cheap.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
910 Posts
I changed my headlights to the PIAA Super Plasma which claims to be street legal. It has a 3 months warrenty on it and it still works great since one year ago. The lights are very bright as compared to stock and it has a slight purple tint. On good days (without rain or snow ) the lights are awesome, but on rainy days the lights just magically disappear on the road.

For bad weather I would suggest some fog lights or even get the Sylvania true HID auxiliary lighting system which someone metioned before in this club.

I have just installed a set of the HID kit above and I am amazed how much lights it puts out. Though the price are a bit high as compared with fog lights, but if you want true HID, I would suggest this kit.
This kit is also street legal and the retrofit ones are not.

But sometime later maybe someone could get the HID in the odyssey in Japan over here =)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The grease is "dielectric grease." Permatex has the product. I could not find the grease by itself, but found a small tube in their "Tune Up Kit," about $4.00, available at Auto Zone. If you order a tube from NAPA or similar parts store, an 8 ounce tube will cost about $12.00. Get the small tube in the kit -- a little goes a long way -- I have used it on all my aftermarket connectors.

http://www.permatex.com/news/00/pr001104b.asp

Here is the "Tune Up Kit" which will probably be in stock.

http://www.permatex.com/auto/autouh.asp?f_call=get_item&item_no=26984

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
910 Posts
I didn't replace my headlight with any HID bulb which is illegal in North America.
I bought a set of auxilary HID lights from Sylvania online for $550USD.
Since the lights were a bit too big for the factory fog lights holes, I had to install it beside the front license plate. Which left the holes for one more pair of fog lights if I want to

Here's the link to the website:http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x1010.htm

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had the 100/80 (yes, it's 100 watt low beam and 80 high beam) higher wattage H4 bulbs and the wiring harness from Competition Unlimited on my 99EX for a little over 2 yrs. The combination works very well, and is quite simple to install. DUTCH

[This message has been edited by DUTCH (edited 01-02-2002).]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Uh, is that right?

How does the same current produce higher wattage (i.e. power) with the same voltage input. I thought power=voltage*current

What am I missing?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think sfearing is a bit confused here. The standard 60w/55w bulbs will draw 5a/4.58a from a 12 volt source. 100w/80w bulbs will draw 8.33a/6.67a.
Thus the wiring harness therefore must be able to conduct this higher amount of current without heating up.

That is unless PIAA has a proprietary process that bends the laws of physics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts