Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an alternative to an expensive ceiling mounted entertainment center I purchased for my 2001 Honda Odyssey EX a Panasonic 9 inch TV/VHS combination for under $300.00. In order to get good TV reception I purchased an Audiovoc AN200 Glass Mount TV antenna for $30.00 at Circuit City.

I am planning on putting the Panasonic on the front table and pushing it between the arm rests to keep it in place. I will plug it into the 12 volt receptical for power and then install the glass mount antenna and wire it to the TV.

HAS ANYONE DONE ANYTHING SIMILAR AND IF SO HOW HAVE YOU FOUND IT? WHAT KIND OF TV RECEPTION HAVE YOU GOTTEN.

WOULD IT BE BENEFICIAL TO install a 12 volt antenna booster? (You can purchase these at Campers World since they are used on all RV's to inprove TV reception).

I am picking up my new Honda in about a week and I am anxious to know how others made out using a 9 inch TV combo

·
Registered
18 Posts
i thought about this too.. but the TV/VCR combo would be too heavy..

let us know how it goes..

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I used a 9 inch TV/VCR in my Windstar, but built a special stand that sat on the floor and tilted the screen up towards the kids eyes. We never tried to use the antenna, just popped in tapes. Steel Horse makes a TV tote which suspends a 9 inch TV/VCR combo between the front seats. This would be a better solution than setting it on the pop-up tray. Several members are using this solution and seem to be happy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I built a table that basically sits on the armrests and has a leg in the back for additional support and to prevent it from flipping. You can look in the tech section or click on this link:

http://www.odyclub.com/tech/tvtable.htm

I used this as a starting point and modified it to make it smaller. Hopefully someday I'll get to post pictures of it as I am really happy with how it turned.

Also, since DVD's are the wave of the future, you may want to look at the Toshiba 9" tv/dvd combo. Costco has it for $300 and best buy also sells it. We have it and love it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i did the exact same thing but noticed that after jamming the TV/VCR combo (9") in between the two front seats while setting on the table that the air bags sensors in the vacant passenger seat tripped the SRS light on the dash. I took it the dealer and had it reset. If my wife is in the seat it works fine but i've created the problem one other time so I now will only do so if the passenger seat is occupied.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Daconini,
I am assuming you're talking about the table tripping the SRS light. If you're tripping the SRS light, your table may be too snug against the sides of the seats. It may be pushing in against a sensor that is embedded in the seat. Ideally most of the weight and forces should be on top of the armrests and on the floor via the leg support. Maybe you need to trim the table down a little. Mine is a fairly snug fit side to side, but it relies on the wood behind the armrest and the carriage bolts in front of the armrest for back to front stability and overall security.
Tony B

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got one

Bought a Philips 9" TV/VCR on Ebay ($160). Stuck it in the SteelHorse bag ($50 from JCWhitney), and suspended it between the front seats. We just got back from a trip to DisneyWorld (14 hours total road time), and the 2 year old was totally engaged the whole time. Made the trip easy!

·
Registered
883 Posts
I use the Steel Horse tote too, and I wouldn't go any other way. It's designed for you and relatively cheap. ONce you've done it once, it's easy to instal too.

BTW - Check here for some info on wiring your EX to play the TV sound to the rear speakers of the van while you listen to the radio or CD's in the front. I plan on posting (no, really I do!) some better instructions and pics, but most of it is there now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
BTW, there is a brand of 9" TV/VCR, Emerson, I believe--available at Walmart for $168--that has front firing speakers. This eliminates a constant drone of whatever cartoon they're watching in the front two seats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to add a TV and VCR as well, but I am worried that unless it was bolted to the floor or ceiling, the TV would be a lethal projectile if we were to get in an accident. You never know, sh:) t happens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wouldn't chance it! No matter how you install it, without its being crash-tested, you really don't know what your TV/VCR could do in the event of an accident. Sort of negates all the safety features of the Odyssey--7 headrests, 7 lap/shoulder belts, front and side airbags (not to mention the best child car seat you can find). Not worth it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use to use a 9" TV/VCR on the center console.

I took 2 pieces of plywood that were the same size as the TV foot print. I put a hinge on one side and used a block of wood in between the two pieces of plywood to elevate the front of the TV to a better viewing angle.

I then took some heavy duty nylon netting and used it to attach the TV to the new stand.

I removed the passenger side armrest and put the TV on the center console (The TV would not fit on the console in between both arm rest, but it fit nice and snug with one off). I also made a center leg support for under the console out of a 2x4 with a piece of foam on one end.

Lastly, I took 2 nylon straps and attached the TV to the base of the 2 front seats. I wrapped the nylon straps through the netting on the TV.

I don't have this set up any more...I now have a GameVue. I used it for about 2 years with no problems. I will see if I can dig up a picture.

Frank

·
Registered
883 Posts
janthony said:
I wouldn't chance it! No matter how you install it, without its being crash-tested, you really don't know what your TV/VCR could do in the event of an accident. Sort of negates all the safety features of the Odyssey--7 headrests, 7 lap/shoulder belts, front and side airbags (not to mention the best child car seat you can find). Not worth it.
Whenever you drive there's lots of stuff in your van that could fly and hurt someone. Luggage in back, CD cases, purses, kids books, etc. Most of these don't have the mass of a TV, but could cause injury none the less. Given the small odds of an accident, made even smaller that it would happen with the TV in the van (Given the amount of time TV is in vs. out), even smaller that it would be major enough to dislodge the tote, it's a chance I'm willing to take. One of the reasons I like the Tote is that it is an engineered, mass produced product designed with the purpose of keeping the TV in place. I presume they did some kind of testing and calculations on it and they (and their lawyers) are confident it is safe.

Here's a pic of the Steel Horse Tote:

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is so special about the Steel Horse? The Targets in my area are now carrying a different tote that basically does the same thing, as far as I can tell, just a slightly different strapping setup. Can't seem to find a brand name on the box, other than Target. One thing I don't know is if this other tote will fit in the Odyssey. Is the Steel Horse designed specifically for the Odyssey? Also, any other information on front firing 9" sets?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Is the Steel Horse designed specifically for the Odyssey? Also, any other information on front firing 9" sets?
The Steel Horse is a universal set-up, not designed specifically for the Ody. Someone in a post above says the Emerson at Wal-Mart is front firing. :rolleyes: If your kids are old enough, invest in a y-adapter and some headphones.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone know of any 9" TV/VCR combos with speakers in the front instead of the side, other than the one from Emerson (at WalMart) mentiond in one of these posts?

·
Registered
104 Posts
One other option is to use the headphone jack on the TV to put sound into computer speakers somehow mounted under the front seats. I have an old pair that run on 6v dc power and will buy a splitter for the power outlet on the dash. Then plug the tv and the speakers into the power and there you go. I just have to work out a mounting method that makes them secure, but removable and raised a bit to allow heat to flow out of the ducts under the front seat. You could mount them in other places depending on the size of the speaker. There is also the power outlet in the rear which you could use if you mount the speakers more towards the rear.

We've dealt with the side firing speakers since the summer but I will have an alternate set up for the Thanksgiving and Christmas road trips. It's getting old and loud.

·
Registered
426 Posts
HEAVY PROJECTILE! Please secure the contents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts