Honda Odyssey Forum banner

9 Speed Transmission Issues

44027 75
I just replaced my 2015 Honda Odyssey with a 2018. The 2015 drove smooth as butter and I never had any issues with the transmission. The 2018's transmission is very jerky and unpredictable. Going from 0 - 25ish it shifts hard several times. At about 35+ it drives normal. It seems the colder the temp outside the hard the shifts. The engine is also much louder and seems to tack higher. If I floor the gas the engine screams but the van doesn't take off all that fast. I feel like I always have to keep pressing in on the gas to keep it going. Like hold the gas in one place isn't enough. When letting off the gas it feels like the transmission shifts to a higher gear and slows the car down. Feels like a rubber banding effect, rather than just coasting.

Overall the 2018 just feel like a chore to drive while the 2015 drove perfectly. Anyone else having the same issues? Thanks!
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Anyone else having the same issues? Thanks!
Did you search this forum on your topic??? there are plenty of comments on this already...

IMHO. How many miles did you put on your 18? Just because 18 drives differently than 15, it does not mean it has an issue. Yes, it drives completely different as it is completely different gearbox.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just saw one thread on this so far. Maybe I'll look further. Sorry! I have 500 miles on the 18. Yeah, I get that it's a different transmission but it's a pretty drastic change over the old one.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up to my appointment. Everything checks out fine. Nothing wrong with the transmission. If you plan on buying a 2018 Odyssey pay very close attention to how it shifts. Some people like the new transmission some don't. I personally thought the CVT from the previous model way smoother.

· Registered
98 Posts
Follow up to my appointment. Everything checks out fine. Nothing wrong with the transmission. If you plan on buying a 2018 Odyssey pay very close attention to how it shifts. Some people like the new transmission some don't. I personally thought the CVT from the previous model way smoother.
I thought the old model Odyssey used a traditional 6 speed transmission, not a CVT.

· Registered
297 Posts
My bad. Hopefully the 10 speed will also become standard on all trim levels soon.
I wouldn't hold your breath. I'd look for the 10 speed in the EX/EX-L in 2021, 3 years after the new gen van was introduced (if the last generation is any guide). Honda views it as an additional premium offering, but it doesn't really add anything to fuel economy so they don't have any EPA incentive to do so earlier.

· Registered
118 Posts
FWIW,

I like the 9 speed better than the 5 speed in my '05. Especially climbing hills at highway speed where there's isn't that big jump to 3K+ rpm.

The ECO button makes the gas pedal feel really strange, so do your driving compare in S or ECO-off mode... then decide if the better gas mileage is worth the weirdness. At 3K miles I'm finally starting to get over the really light steering and have gotten used to the ECO gas peddle feel.

re: "..If I floor the gas the engine screams but the van doesn't take off all that fast..." are you going from normal pedal location to suddenly flooring it? If so there will definitely be a gap then BANG you should launch like a rocket, likely with some wheel-spin. Or are you smoothly pressing down harder which causes the Van to accelerate (for me) fairly smoothly once I got used to pressing the pedal. Highway merges are very easy with this van, lots of acceleration. Not sure how you get "engine scream" without "strong acceleration".

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems like some people like the 9-speed and some people don't. I personally preferred the way my 2015 drove over the way my 2018 does. Kind of a bummer I traded it in. Hopefully I get use to the 9-speed. It just seems jerky and unpredictable. I feel a little nervous pulling out in traffic because it sometimes has a delay when hitting the gas hard.

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2018 Odyssey in October and have had the exact same issues since day 1. I would also add hesitation while pulling out into traffic. There have been three times that the engine has reved between 6 and 7 rpm and the car doesn't really budge. I also have a knocking noise when accelerating up to about 35 mph. After months of back and forth with Honda and dealership nothing has been done. Honda has told me they sent data to their engineers and I basically have to wait for a recall. This is my third and last Honda Odyssey (and last Honda for that matter). Just curious if you have reported your issues to Honda Corporate Customer Service? The more reports, the better chance of getting this fixed.

· Registered
111 Posts
I'm not having this issue as described in the thread. I have about 5200 miles on 2018 EXL and very happy with it. The only thing that I installed was the VCMuzzler at about 1500 miles.

On my previous Odysseys (2014 and 2015) I had all sort of issues. From noise coming out from the front of a vehicle and engine rebuilt at 7k miles on 2015 Touring (both bought brand new).

· Registered
2 Posts
We purchased a 2018 Odyssey (9 speed trans) on October 28th, 2017. After roughly 10k mile the wife mentioned transmission issues at lower speeds and brake noise. (Note: we are note weirdos that complain over anything and this is our second new Odyseey - first bought in 2006 and still own). In any case, on a vacation drive with wife (her van) I was able to witness multiple times the transmission and brake issues. The transmission make an extra ordinary "clunk" and "jerk" around 24-34 mph. This is obviously associated with shift. The hard shift and sound of metal / etc. engaging is not characteristic of precise mechanics and is sure to lead to failures. We took the van to purchase dealership in Miamisburg, Ohio by Dayton Mall off 725 and they indicated they didn't hear / see anything wrong so they couldn't do anything. Service Manager (Andi) said it has a warranty (he wasn't sure what that was so asked him to confirm). I indicated if I wanted a throw away carmI would have bought one. In any case, I contacted Honda Customer Care today (people reading off scripted responses in my opinion). Will have to take back to dealership and have them ride until they hear / feel clunk... this may take a couple of hours. We also had the dealership look at the brakes. They (Miamisburg Honda dealership by Dayton Mall, Ohio) turned rotors (not good IMO as I bought new) to "solve" problem. Brakes make more noise than ever. Honda Customer Service will say a wear item. (No freaking kidding but they don't wear that fast - back up you're product). Honda has TBS out on brakes. Was very disappointed with Honda Customer Service not "stepping up" and providing more input or route to solutions. In any case, I have a case number and hopefully this will enable us to get the dealership technician to ride until they hear issue with transmission and brakes. If this is not resolved, I will never buy another Honda. The 2006 Honda had a cracked transmission casing under warranty and the Miamisburg dealership and corporate Honda were great. The customer service currently is sub-par. My opinion would be not to spend the extra $$$ on an Odyssey and buy a Toyota or cheap domestic as Honda's concern with defects in my opinion has declined dramatically. The Honda Customer Care manager indicated Technical Bulletins just help technicians. I informed him they are often precursors to recalls. Aaahhh.. really frustrating. Spent a bunch a cash on what I thought would be quality (don't mind spending for quality) and so far the quality has been subpar as well as service. Please respond if you are having similar problems and if you've had any resolution. Thanks. Used to be a Honda fan!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.