Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, has anyone been having issues with the 9-speed transmission jerking when it shifts from the 1st to 2nd gear after a stop? My 2018 EX-L has been having this issue pretty consistently. It's a pretty pronounced jerk and doesn't matter if I feather the gas pedal or lead-foot it. I've got TSB 19-124 applied, but it didn't help (I believe the TSB is for jerks occuring at ~24mph, but my issues is while starting from a stop.).

Wondering if anyone else have had this issue and/or been able to get this fixed. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
I have a 2018 EX. It would do that sometimes but then I had the software update and the jerking stopped. I don't know the TSB number but I believe it was done pre-Covid - probably 2019. If yours is still acting up, take it back. Is the car still under warranty?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2018 EX. It would do that sometimes but then I had the software update and the jerking stopped. I don't know the TSB number but I believe it was done pre-Covid - probably 2019. If yours is still acting up, take it back. Is the car still under warranty?
Thanks, yeah it's still under warranty. I'll have to take it in.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
Good stuff. If you still have issues after the recall, ask the dealer if a software reset is needed. I'm not sure if the update resets the software but if it does, the transmission may need to relearn your driving habits from scratch - the dumbest technology I've ever heard of outside of Microsoft products :LOL:!

If the software has to learn your driving habits, what happens when someone else drives your car? Anyway, I digress....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff. If you still have issues after the recall, ask the dealer if a software reset is needed. I'm not sure if the update resets the software but if it does, the transmission may need to relearn your driving habits from scratch - the dumbest technology I've ever heard of outside of Microsoft products :LOL:!

If the software has to learn your driving habits, what happens when someone else drives your car? Anyway, I digress....

Thanks, yeah I'll ask them about the reset. Totally agree that this is the dumbest technology. It really takes the pleasure out of driving. Cars these days try to act smart with the transmission mapping and shifting to extract the maximum mpg irrespective of the individual drivers' driving habits. At the end of the day, it makes it a bad experience for folks that enjoy driving and know how to use the gas pedal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the same exact problem. Dealer applied the TSB (19-124) last year July, and it still periodically jerks the 1st to 2nd gear shift, albeit much less often. I think you guys are right with the 'software reset', as it seemed to get worse over time.

My question for you guys, do you think we can do our own software reset with pulling the battery cable off for a 10 minutes and reconnecting, or do you believe it's a dealer only type reset. I have no experience with these newer Hondas.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
I got the same exact problem. Dealer applied the TSB (19-124) last year July, and it still periodically jerks the 1st to 2nd gear shift, albeit much less often. I think you guys are right with the 'software reset', as it seemed to get worse over time.
My question for you guys, do you think we can do our own software reset with pulling the battery cable off for a 10 minutes and reconnecting, or do you believe it's a dealer only type reset. I have no experience with these newer Hondas.
The only idea I can offer is from my recent experience changing my battery. I disconnected the old one and connected the new one inside 10 minutes. All systems came back on flawlessly. I assume that as soon as I disconnected the old battery, all programming would have been lost if the programs were written to volatile memory. Instead, I believe the settings are stored in non-volatile memory, which means a power failure is not destructive to the programming. I know that Bell Fibe recommends that you disconnect your PVR for 30 seconds to drain all power from the unit as part of a reset. That 30 second figure is the longest power off time I've ever heard of. Hence, I think the dealer needs to go in and use some sort of software function to reset things.

Cars these days try to act smart with the transmission mapping and shifting to extract the maximum mpg irrespective of the individual drivers' driving habits.
It's truly stupid that they are trying to max out fuel economy by throwing all these dumb transmission programing disasters at us that simply don't work right and only result in crappy shifting. At the same time, they load the hell out of these cars with all this extra electronic crap that sucks a ton of power. Where's the gain? There is none! They should have just left things alone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts