Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and am on the hunt for my first Ody. Here's the break down. I know the difference from the 95-97 to the 98 is that the 98 is equipped with vtech. What I want to know if the vtech makes that much of a difference on the already sluggish kinda motor in the 95-97 models.

I have a number of options in making my decision on which one to choose. with majority of them available being 95-97. today or tomorrow I will be checking a 98 with about 215,000 kms on it. But there are a number of 95-97's with in and around the same amount of kms and some with more but some carry a cheaper price tag. Any feedback on this or any input you may have at all on these models would be greatly appreciated as I will be making up my mind on one asap. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Owning a 98 I'm faced with the transmission issue. Since it's a one year affair there is little to choose from. My wish would be to swap for a manual with tons of supply and support. Vtec-e is nice and earns some mileage points, but if I'd do it again I'd probably opt for the 95-97 chassis vans. F22 motor is a great foundation, and a wider selection of transmissions to pick from when the stock one craps out (I'd assume the stock unit can go 200k plus)

·
Registered
947 Posts
All I can say is I love my '95 with 222K very trouble free miles. If I were to buy again I would easily go for another '95-'97

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick input guys. so those of you who have driven both the 95-97 and the 98, does the vtech make that big a difference? and is there a gas mileage diff between the two?

After what you guys have said I may just go with the 95-97 as the price tag seems to be significantly lower here in vancouver.

so the transmission on the 98 has more issues than that of the 95-97s? what other common issues are on the first generation ody's? thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 96 ody ex with 246k runs strong. But I wouldnt mind a 98 vtec . I bet it gets better mpg

·
Registered
947 Posts
The non-vtec '97 has the same MPG rating as the vtec '98.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts