Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have searched and googles with no prevail. the problem is i dont think the trans is shifting into its final drive?

P
R
N
D4
D3

it goes 1, 2, D3, D4, then thats it...isnt it supposed to go twice more?
ive only had auto civics/integras and the trans would do that.
so im not sure if the ody should be the same way?
help please... i think the kick down cable its too tight but didnt want to adjust anything before inquiring.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It should shift 3 times (be in 4th gear at that time) then you would feel one more little shift at around 52 mph I believe. This last little shift is the lock-up torque converter doing its thing. So in all, should notice about 4 shifts total. I cannot remember what the RPMs should be at around 60mph. It would help if you knew that. Has your tranny fluid ever been replaced? In your Ody you can use either Dexron 3 or Honda Z-1 stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should shift 3 times (be in 4th gear at that time) then you would feel one more little shift at around 52 mph I believe. This last little shift is the lock-up torque converter doing its thing. So in all, should notice about 4 shifts total. I cannot remember what the RPMs should be at around 60mph. It would help if you knew that. Has your tranny fluid ever been replaced? In your Ody you can use either Dexron 3 or Honda Z-1 stuff.
First of all thanks for your response. When I bought my Odyssey it had a tear in one of the trans lines going to the radiator. I replaced it and leak is fixed.

However I did go to my local oriely store and the pamphlet that described which trans fluid goes to which car said to use dex/merc?
I know we supposed to use HonGen but it was a desperate time.

Also I did notice it only shifts 4 times and like I said it doesn't go to its final drive.
When I'm on the freeway at 60 MPH that motor revs like a mother father.

Also also it revs high before shifting. Long intervals between shifts.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I wouldn't worry about using the Honda Z-1 fluid in your 95. Your owner's manual should say it requires Dexron 2 or 3. Just use something that is compatible with that. You should do a drain and refill of the transmission fluid 3 times with a few miles of driving inbetween. These transmissions are only 4 speeds and they do tend to rev high to get power out of the 2.2 liter engine. You should only be experiencing a total of 4 shifts. The 4th one being the lock-up torque converter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't worry about using the Honda Z-1 fluid in your 95. Your owner's manual should say it requires Dexron 2 or 3. Just use something that is compatible with that. You should do a drain and refill of the transmission fluid 3 times with a few miles of driving inbetween. These transmissions are only 4 speeds and they do tend to rev high to get power out of the 2.2 liter engine. You should only be experiencing a total of 4 shifts. The 4th one being the lock-up torque converter.
l
So it should sound like its kinda revving high in 4th?

Also it sometimes needs some help shifting into 4th. Any ideas why???

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sounds like it needs a good fluid change.

The only gear above 4th is the lockup converter doing its job as already mentioned.

There should be no high revving going on in 4th gear, - actually, once the lockup converter has done its job, your RPM's drop! I mean if you're cruising around at 80+ MPH your RPM's are going to be high, naturally ... but, there should be zero "fluctuations" of RPM.

Try and do a fluid change before the transmission has gone beyond the point of a simple fluid change bringing it back around.

I have 306k miles on my 95's transmission. I do need to do a fluid change as I haven't done one in probably 40k miles now. I used to change it every other oil change to prolong life, I need to get back to that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does your D4 light on the dash come on when you turn the ignition on, then go off after a couple seconds?

Does the D4 light blink after you put it in gear and start driving?

One way to double check if it's shifting into 4th is to put it in D3, accelerate to 60, then shift it into D4. If you feel it shift then it's going into 4th, if not then it's staying in third.

It's super easy to check your shift cable adjustment visually. Just pull it back and take the ball out, and let it fall back. Visually note where it is in conparison with the ball in. If there's much difference at all then it's too tight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will be looking into this today. Odyclub Rocks!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does your D4 light on the dash come on when you turn the ignition on, then go off after a couple seconds?

Does the D4 light blink after you put it in gear and start driving?

One way to double check if it's shifting into 4th is to put it in D3, accelerate to 60, then shift it into D4. If you feel it shift then it's going into 4th, if not then it's staying in third.

It's super easy to check your shift cable adjustment visually. Just pull it back and take the ball out, and let it fall back. Visually note where it is in conparison with the ball in. If there's much difference at all then it's too tight.
i didnt get a chance o check it yet but the D4 light doesnt do that... it sometimes has a hard time shifting and sometimes it runs fine...

Use Honda ATF fluid every time
could that really be my problem??? use HonGen fluid???

·
Registered
947 Posts
could that really be my problem??? use HonGen fluid???
You can use a good quality Dexron 3 fluid and be fine. The main thing is that you change out the fluid thoroughly (ie. about 3 drain/refills with driving inbetween). You can also use the Honda fluid but don't have to on a '95.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You've been getting good advice.
The suggestion to do multiple drain & refills is the best way to do it.

Don't get talked into doing a power flush; I've mostly heard nothing but tears from them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts