Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
160K miles, fuel filter is reportedly "lifetime"
Has anyone changed theirs and is it DIY? I can see the top from above. Do I need to come from below to get the bottom off?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I paid the dealership to replace mine at 178k :rolleyes:
No, they aren't lifetime filters...and Yes, you should have it replaced asap! Your van will thank you.

My post back on 9-29-08:

hockeyman said:
[Update]
Just had the fuel filter replaced by Honda. Total was $85, tax included.

It seems to run and accelerate a bit smoother now. I guess it would since it was the original filter since 1996 and had 178,000 miles on it.

I wanted to ask to see the old one, but I was too anxious to get out of there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have no problem waiting well past 30K miles to replace my fuel filter. JM2C.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Robert said:
I have no problem waiting well past 30K miles to replace my fuel filter. JM2C.
Depends whether you fill from a known reliable gas station or the cheapest backwater gas pumps you can find. :stupid:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I changed mine at 110K miles. I did notice a change in performance, responsiveness.

Now at 152K, I am not sure if I need to change it again since performance is still good. I still get 26 to 27 MPG on the highway with full camping gear load.

It is a pain to replace and almost impossible to do if you don't have a claw wrench.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I agree the service interval is quite early. I will wait a couple more years before tackling it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
other info

I spoke with parts mgr at my dealership-used to be service mgr. He said official word was lifetime but he personally would change it. He also came outside to show me where it was on the car but said it was not an easy job.
Then I called a well respected independent shop. He said since 94=modern fuel injected era he has had no cars come in dead. Worst case is greatly reduced top speed. He said if you can drive 75 mph fuel flow is adequate.
I will look for pictures on DIY. I would hate to be driving 30 mph on a highway far away.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Re: other info

b moe said:
I spoke with parts mgr at my dealership-used to be service mgr. He said official word was lifetime but he personally would change it. He also came outside to show me where it was on the car but said it was not an easy job.
Then I called a well respected independent shop. He said since 94=modern fuel injected era he has had no cars come in dead. Worst case is greatly reduced top speed. He said if you can drive 75 mph fuel flow is adequate.
I will look for pictures on DIY. I would hate to be driving 30 mph on a highway far away.
this is true but will put extra work on the diaprham in the fuel pump and would cause it to fail early.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fuel filter is not life time the only reason that Honda in the US call it life time is because its a pain on LHD cars to change. In the UK and Japan its every 24k miles. The steering column on the LHD cars causes the problem. The top and bottom pipes are a little difficult to get to but the real nightmare is the 10mm bolt into the bulkhead that holds the filter in place. I would recommend changing it every 2 years but it will be abit of a tight space to work in.:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh boy, I am tasked with the challenge of replacing this fuel filter. :( The van has about 300K miles on it and the other day it died while driving @ 45 MPH.

It has in the past stuttered, stumbled and then eventually came back around. This time it didn't and wouldn't start. It cranks just fine but no fire and the plugs are only a couple of months old and it has a new air filter. I did pull the upper fuel line off the filter, placed it in a container and cranked the engine. The container had about a cup of fuel after just two 5 second cranks. This leads me to believe it is not the pump.

-The rotor turns when cranked as well (I disconnected the electrical before cranking). Dizzy cap obviously off

-Tried wiggling and jiggling the key but no change. It's never had an ignition problem that I'm aware of.

-I checked all fuses and relays too.

So do you all think this points to a terrible clogged filter? It's probably the original or the second at best.

Before I forget, I also snagged a fuel pump of amazon for $18.00. Here it is: Amazon.com: Autobest F4230 Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive I know I may not need it but for $18.00 I couldn't pass it up.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated. I do know about the crow foot 14 MM wrench and accessing from under and behind but it's still a major PITA to get at. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those of you who have yet to do this job buy a good set of crowsfoot wrenches don't just buy this cheapo set from Autozone. They aren't very well made an will slip off.

Spend the extra $10 and buy a set that doesn't have a flat rear portion like these from Amazon.

Once my ordeal was done, I lightly sanded the distributor rotor (to clean it up). Well it wouldn't start so I stopped at Autozone and bought a new one for $13. As soon as I installed it the little van that "once could" is back at "now can" again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Also? You think it was only the rotor that caused all the grief?
By chance, did you try blowing thru old fuel filter, & compare to new filter the same?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts