Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else have their transmission drop out of gear. it seems to do it more when first driving it in the morning. I pulled a code the other day for a/t gear select switch. replaced it still the same. replaced both solenoids, no luck. replaced the speed sensor nothing. I'm very frustrated its a honda reman unfortunately passed warranty. I've got an H22 with the jdm automatic prelude ecu. As of right now I want to sell it and move on. my wife doesn't want me to go manual:(. any help would be awsome

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone tried a 97-98 TCU in a 95-96. I read a bad TCU could cause my problems. There's a 97 in the salvage yard so I thought about trying it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i did the same swap and the transmission is shifting at really low rpms and not shifting right. Did you find any solution? Im also pulling a TPS. What if you run a H22 TCU?

·
Registered
313 Posts
SlateGreyOdy - your problems with early shifting may be due to a broken or disconnected or misadjusted throttle valve cable that runs from the throttle body down to a lever on the side of the automatic transmission. Normally you want a very small amount of slack (1/16" to 1/8") between the ball on the end of the cable and the lever when the throttle is fully closed. As the throttle is opened, the ball on the cable will contact the lever and move the lever in proportion to how far the throttle is opened. Check to make sure your cable is moving that lever smoothly and progressively as the throttle is opened. The amount of slack in the cable is adjusted by loosening two jam nuts on the threaded end of the cable at the bracket close to the lever - pull or push the cable as necessary to get the slight amount of slack, then tighten the jam nuts. Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks alot ill defnitely do that tomorrow. I thought that was the problem but couldnt find the information on it and how to properly adjust it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
you guys know of any solution for the TP sensor engine code? I am running a P0F ecu (Automatic H22 ECU) and the stock F22 TCM. Also I have quite a high idle after i accelerate and stop... The idle starts of normal then after accelerating and stopping the idle is quite high. Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
It could be that your Throttle Position Sensor has been damaged or just "gone bad". Since it is located on the top back of the engine, it frequently gets damaged during engine swaps - it is the first thing that will hit the firewall/cowl area. The wiring and electrical connector that go to the TPS also often get damaged for the same reason. So check the TPS itself and the wiring and electrical connector closely for damage.
A malfunctioning TPS can cause idle problems like you are experiencing. The function of the TPS is to send a varying voltage signal to the ECU that is proportional to how far you have depressed the gas pedal / opened the throttle. The voltage signal ranges from about 0.5 volt at closed throttle to about 5 volts at wide open throttle. The more voltage the ECU "sees" from the TPS, the more fuel the ECU tells the fuel injectors to inject.
I just checked the price of a new Throttle Position Sensor for a 1997 Prelude at RockAuto Auto Parts - it is about $28.00 Since your ECU has coded a TPS problem and your car runs like it has a TPS problem, it would be a reasonable gamble to replace the TPS. If you are tight on money but have an electrical voltage meter, let me know and I will find the TPS electrical troubleshooting steps for you. Good luck!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
thanks i went through most of the troubleshooting just have to check the voltages at the ecu... im going to order in a new tps asap. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
313 Posts
Let me know how your work on the transmission shifting and TPS problems turns out. I admire the work you've done to make your swap work and I would like to do a similar swap in the future.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For the transmission cable the adjustment wasnt enough so i modified the bracket on the throttle body a bit and spaced it out and made it work... so thats good now... as for the TPS im waiting to get the part. Ill keep you updated as soon as i fix the TPS

·
Registered
75 Posts
The electronic part of the tps connects to a mechanical part of the tps and since it is below the throttle body some times it gets gunked up. It needs to be cleaned when you replace the tps sensor. The last time I cleaned the egr passge I made the mistake of cleaning the throttle body the cleaner ran down into the tps and messed it up so I had to remove the throttle body and clean the mechanical part of the tps out and it went back to idleing ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts