Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a really hard time shifting out of park and out of reverse. Once the lever is in Neutral or below (spatially of course), it goes very smoothly. I've taken the housing off and inspected a bit. The shift lock solenoid is good and when I disconnect the shifter cable the lever works smoothly throughout. That makes me think it's a cable problem or something with the transmission itself. The transmission itself seems totally normal to me and shifts well. Any ideas as to what I should look for next? I don't have any idea how to test for a faulty cable. Fingers crossed it isn't too serious.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realized that I read a prior post too fast. To test the cable, I'm supposed to disconnect the cable at the transmission and see if the lever moves correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got the same trouble. I'd been getting along with it until about a week ago it became more difficult to shift into and out of park. Then this evening I took a quick trip to the grocery store and when I went to shift into park it got stuck between R and P, not really in either of them since the car still rolls like its in neutral. I can't shift it, I can't get the key out of the ignition, I can't start the engine. Tomorrow morning I'm going to jump in and see if I can figure it out, hopefully it'll be an "easy" fix and not something that requires a major tranny overhaul or replacement. Sigh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
probably not that bad

I finally got around to getting it up on jacks. I took the cover off where the cable enters the transmission, slid the boot back and shot a bunch of wd-40 up into the cable sheath. At the time it seemed 100% better...4 weeks later once and a while it sticks a little. I should probably replace the cable assembly at some point. I think that the area that I'm parking in exacerbates it...after rain there's standing water. Probably rusting on the inside of the cable sheath.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too narrowed it down to the cable. Some WD40 and its now working better than it has since I've owned the van. The ends of the cable show absolutely no signs of corrosion or water intrusion at all and now that everything is moving I wonder if its just a matter of the factory lube "drying out" or getting gummy. At least now I know what to do should this problem arise again in the future!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank for the update. Maybe a different lube would keep it moving more smootly for longer. I'm not sure what would be best, but I use a pure silcon lube on bicycle cables because it attracts less dirt than wd40...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. It was diagnosed as a shifter cable problem which the dealer wanted to replace for $500+. If WD40 would work, I'd rather do that. Can someone provide more details on how to do this, please.

It's a '95 Odyssey with only about 80K. Other than that, it runs great. Except the AC which doesn't run at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts