Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect my 97 doesn't have one since I can't find anything about it in the shop manual. Does that mean the filter (if there is one) is considered lifetime? I seem to find references to a pan in some 'net searches so would someone confirm for me if my 97 does or doesn't have it. And if it does, where can I find info to drop it and replace filters? Thanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
No pan, just a drain bolt. Easiest tranny to maintain. You just drain and refill. I believe each drain is about 2.5 qts.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes, it's very easy to drain. The drain plug is on the passenger side, and faces the wheel. I believe it's an Allen Key Bolt, but I forget what size. Refilling is easy, if you have the correct funnel that reaches down to the dipstick tube.

The trans lines have filters/screens within them, but I've never removed and cleaned any of mine since I've owned it. There are a few threads here covering their location(s).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
torque needed

Thank you all. I guess all I need to do is buy a crush washer and the Honda special ATF. Does anyone know what the torque spec is for the drain plug?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can re-use the crush washer.
The drain bolts ha a 3/8 drive square female in it. Your 3/8 drive ratchet will fit right in. You might need a long handle ratchet as they are usually tight or a "cheater" tube on a standard ratchet.
Easier to change tranny fluid than oil.

Drain/refill/ drive around a bit/repeat..... 3 times if current fluid age is over 50k.

Use Honda ATF from dealer, more expensive but works better. I pay a bit under $8 per quart

2.5-3 quarts per refill.

Correct funnel makes this easier. Funnel for putting fuel into unleaded car sockets tightly into fill hole.

I don't worry about torque spec on drain bolt. run it back down and take it 1/16-1/8 turn farther into crush washer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Thanks guys. I figure I'll do a drain/refill 3X between the recommended changes to keep some fresh ATF in there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I change my tranny oil every other oil change which comes out to about every 10K miles. I have previously used Honda ATF Z-1 but I am going to begin using Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF for my Ody. Here is the link:
Castrol USA - Import Multi–Vehicle
I have no problem getting away from the Honda ATF as my '95 was originally designed for Dexron-II.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i remember at one time i had switched from honda atf to semi synthetic blend during 1 winter season, and it made improvements in less warm up time, and better shifting. it may have been quaker state synthblend atf. try substituting non honda atf for the 1sr 2 flush and fill with a brand name dexron2 atf. do this at work all the time, and haven't had a comeback yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts