Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad catalytic converter on my 1998 Honda Odyssey EX. I have found an inexpensive header and test pipe on ebay for a 98 Honda Accord EX. The question I have is will the header work on my engine? I have to get the test pipe for a 98 to get the rear O2 sensor hole. I have read that the 94-97 Accord header works, but everyone is connect them to their stock cat. I was thinking that if I got both header and test pipe for my Odyssey I could go that route. We have no emission check in southern Ohio

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
725 Posts
97 accord is obdII so the test pipe will have second hole for o... even tho you have no emissions some will look under van to look for converter .. .. as your van should have one...
if you just want a test pip just take you cat out and just gut it (not leagl) but so is getting a test pipe and use a spark plug defouler to move the o2 out the stream to trick ecu to not thow cell

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have seen several manifolds crack on the first gens. I know for sure 98 Accord manifolds will not work as they are 4-1. Odysseys are 4-2. However, 94-97 Accord with the V-tec motor have the same manifolds that will fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
97 accord is obdII so the test pipe will have second hole for o... even tho you have no emissions some will look under van to look for converter .. .. as your van should have one...
if you just want a test pip just take you cat out and just gut it (not leagl) but so is getting a test pipe and use a spark plug defouler to move the o2 out the stream to trick ecu to not thow cell
the prev owner of my van threw in a non factory cat and my 2nd o2 sensor throws a CEL. can you tell me specifically which spark plug defouler to get? don't they come in diff thread sizes?

thx bro...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends also on if you have a stock o2 sensors. I asked the counter guy to get me a new o2 sensor and found the correct one for the bosch o2 but when I got the defouler home I still have stock o2 sensors and mine are much longer then the defouler I bought. I'm going back to get longer ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yah, it looks like what they did was throw in an aftermarket cat, weld on a bung to fit the factory 2nd o2 sensor. I just need a part number for a defouler that fits the factory o2 sensor. Thx!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have hollowed out my stock cat and unpluged my ECU. It went 50 miles or so until the CEL came back on. I went to AutoZone and bought a Spark Plug Non-Fouler kit in their HELP section (Dorman part # 42002) for $5. My stock o2 sensor was to long to fit inside the defouler that I bought. I went to take it back and see if I could get a longer part. They do not come any longer from Dorman. I looked it up in their catalog. So I went back to the garage and drilled a 1/2 in. hole in it to allow for my o2 sensor to go in deeper. WORKED! Unpluged my ECU again and light is off for now. Will update as I learn more.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts