Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 isuzu oasis (same as the Odyssey) and am having trouble finding a replacement cable reel. I found one from the 97 but it is not the same as what I have in the 98. Does anyone know if the part for the 98 Odyssey is the same as they used in the 98 accord or any other model. Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are on the same boat, mine 98 odyssey is also looking to replace the clock spring. The SRS light is on, cruise control doesnt work and the horn is completely dead.

It is extremely hard to find used part and i dont want to dish out 300+ for a brand new one.

Any update with that 6th gen accord clock spring?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I hope that works LOL.

I am selling my stock steering wheel, airbag, and clock spring, along with misc. connectors and trims from removing my stock steering wheel setup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered the same part through ebay, I've already installed it and it works. Be careful buying anything fragile from Yakuza, his packing and customer service are horrible. I won't get into details but I feel it's only fair to warn you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only issue I found was, the cable from the reel to the column is a little shorter than the original. I re-routed the cable from the column by just taking it out of the holder and bringing it up the other side and it reaches just fine. Other than that it's plug-n-play.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a '98 Odyssey LX and am also experiencing this problem. First started with no/intermittent horn operation then SRS indicator illuminated finally intermittent cruise control. Troubleshot, all indicators fault the cable reel assy. Currently CANNOT locate a replacement cable reel assy, OEM and or aftermarket vendor.
Options to remedy this Ody Pros?
Does anybody have a source for a replacement cable reel? OEM? aftermarket? used? lead to a wrecking yard that has potentially used functional cable reels? another model Honda/model that will work in this application (plug and play)? repair my faulty cable reel? someone who rebuilds cable reels? replace the steering assy with aftermarket?
please assist,
Kyle

·
Registered
18 Posts
My local u-pull has a 96 and a 98 right now by some stroke of luck. Pretty sure both have intact columns and steering wheels I could pull both reels for whoever needs them. I am also curious if the 98 (and 99 oasis) are really different from the rest (mine is a 95). Was going there to get the ROOF RACK from the 98 anyway, and it's an EX so hopefully also the keyless entry box. woohoo but it wouldn't be out of my way as I'd be there anyways.

I broke my original cable reel playing "wheel of fortune" while the steering rack was disconnected (duh). Too used to them 70s American jalopies with nothing but a shaft and some bearings in there, spin it 85 times and it only polishes up the bearings. Found a used one on eBay and installed it and it works so I'm really well versed with removing them successfully and not screwing them up, and taping them in center position so when you install it, it's right (install, then remove tape - otherwise you can get lost as to where the center point really is, and rip the cable the first time you go too far one way or the other). You can also resync them by counting turns it's not a big deal just a lot easier and ensured if its pre taped (how they came when new in a parts bag).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Spudz76,
I would be interested in that '98 cable reel.
I didn't know that Isuzu still sold this gen 1 odyssey (oasis) in '99!
Looking at the OEM parts listing, the '96 has a part number of 77900-SX0-A01. The '98 has a part number 77900-SX0-A02. So technically speaking, it will be a different part. Hard to tell unless you look at it. A good assumption would be to see if both years had the same accessories and horn/SRS connectors on the steering wheel. The '98LX (which I have) only has the cruise control....beside the horn and the SRS. If you need assistance taking it out, I can help.
I'm almost at the point where I'm just going to repair mine.
Let me know
Kyle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got it, and it is quite different than mine (1995 LX). The main difference is the 1998 (and 1999 oasis) got OBD-II and had several wiring changes, including how the airbag and wheel accessories (horn cruise etc) hook up. It had a tach cluster also but being OBD-II it will not swap to the earlier vans. :(

I also tried to get a earlier OBD-I version of the clock reel for anyone that needs one, but I goofed it up and it went sproiioioioing. The 1998 was actually much easier to pull without accidents it has larger windows for the wire connectors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well that explains the different cable reel part number for the '95 and '98! So '98 parts are quite unique to it's year....bad thing

Did you have the '95 cable reel loaded to the left or right before removing? Shouldn't be a problem though, you can reload it? Right?

Let me know what you're going to do with the '98 cable reel. PM me.

By trade I am a electronic technician an seeing some clock springs, I know I can repair them. Let me know

Kyle

·
Registered
18 Posts
So '98 parts are quite unique to it's year....bad thing
Federal thing... they had to rewire for OBD-II compliance (new ECU, dual O2 sensors, etc) and took the update opportunity to add some other things since it was a new harness anyway. Such as keyless entry, the 2.3L VTEC (rather than 2.2L non) and probably other things I'm forgetting (instrument cluster is also wired differently and I believe no longer has the "rolling" physical odometer).

'95 cable reel
I didn't get a '95, just your '98 / I blew up the one 95-97 model during the 'whack the wheel off the knurls' step (half the time the hole provided in the wheel for the wires to go through catch the connector and thus pull the casing halves of the clock reel apart). At that point I just leave them as usually it breaks off one of the three hub-clip fingers in the center that holds it together (old plastic). And I didn't have time to molest the other 95-97 donor at that yard. I've just reworked my own clock reel several times so I know quite well what it and its wiring look like to mentally compare with the '98.

By trade I am a electronic technician an seeing some clock springs, I know I can repair them. Let me know
I lap-joint soldered mine after scraping some of the coating away (it's some tough teflon) and that repair held for a good while but physically failed while turning on a very cold day. Perhaps with the proper type of solder and not whatever I had laying around, it would survive better. I also wrapped the repair stint with some gorilla tape. They seem to break right at the 180 fold-backs near the end of the inner cable coil. I removed a couple inches of mine as well as it had broken in two places, probably didn't help the results.

I think if you replaced the flat cable with some reformulated wiring that worked the same but didn't have the breakage issue that might work. But the teflon magic flatworm stuff is pretty difficult.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you or the informative reply
It's hard to say what would be a good repair for this until I physically have one in my hand. Maybe a ribbon section replaced or the entire ribbon replaced...or just a local site repair. It's hard for me to pull mine and lay it on the side to give it that thought as my '98 is still a daily. You know, the more mileage I put on it, the more challenging problems appear. Once I get one, I'll report though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts