Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1998 Ody only has 180,000 miles on it. Went to start it up Sunday (-15F) and she started, but when we got in to head to church it was running like crap and the check engine light was flashing. So we get home and I hook it up to the scanner and it is a P0301 and a P1399 came us as a "pending" code. P0301 is cyl 1 so I check all my plug wires - all are fine are 10ohm. Then I pull my plugs and #1 was fouled (an iridium plug with only 40k on it). I pull all plugs and the rest look similar, but not quite as bad. I get new plugs and it ran good in my driveway, however today I took it out again and it ran like crap again and through the same codes.

So, any idea what it could be? I tried to search here and came up with nothing. :( Also, I did just change the dist. cap and rotor about 5k miles ago.

HELP! :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem. Try swapping your plug wires. I did that and the code tripped on the other cylinder. Changed the wires and haven't had the problem since.

·
Registered
725 Posts
pull out cyl 1 spark pluge wire its shorting out to the head most likely , hair line crack.... pull it and look for ither a purple hot spot or it might have a light white gray mark...
if you want to just test first , you could get some black electrical tap and wrap the tube and if problem not there replace the wires ..
tube = the plastic part that goes inside the head

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wolftracer said:
I had a similar problem. Try swapping your plug wires. I did that and the code tripped on the other cylinder. Changed the wires and haven't had the problem since.
That was the exact problem. Even though I tested them and they all passed I swapped some around and then the code came from a different cylinder. The "life time" warranty wires only lasted me 50k miles. Oh well, at least I got some new ones now at no charge. Thanks again you Gen 1 guys rock! :)

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
An easy way to check your distributor cap is to take an insulated wire and hold one end to the bolts on the shock tower and move the other end around the cap. If it arcs out then you have a hairline crack and it needs replacing. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bumpin an old thread but this might help someone diag a misfire or poor running problem.

another cool trick to find cracked wires or bad cap etc, is to spray water over the ignition components at night or in a dark area and you can see all the sparks. Don't need to hose it down, even a spray bottle mist will work. If it's bad enough you don't even need water to see the sparks. best part is you don't run the chance of getting bit by high voltage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts