Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 98 Odyssey with automatic transmission. Off late I notice that the very first time I start my van in the morning, the gears don't engage/change immediately, but engage after a slight delay and a sudden surge. After couple of gear changes the behaviour is normal. Evenings when I drive the van back from work I don't experience any surges like this. I changed the transmission fluid/filter flush, but status quo. Anyone has any insight into what could be happening?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 95 does the exact same thing! It seems to be related to the outside temperature. It never happens in the summer and here in Tucson there are only a few days in winter cold enough to cause it. I also have changed the transmission fluid with no improvement in the situation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 98 with 160k miles on it does this too. It's not that bad but it's noticeable. Feels like turbo lag/boost :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
It sound like your all describing shift flare.
Have any of you pulled the shift solenoids and cleaned them? I would replace the o-rings while they were off. I have seen accords with trash or just gunk build up on the solenoids and when the fluid is thick it can't flow to make the shift. I read a honda tsb about it a while back recommending you clean and or replace the shift solenoids. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
true, but if you're not mechanically inclined to do so, try switching to synthetic atf. did this once, and made drastic improvements over what the p.o. condition had described. plus, synth oil last longer than standard atf. your choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts