Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part I read through the past posts that fit the search and didn't see it mentioned - Some Odysseys have a transmission fluid filler plug you can get to for refilling when changing the fluid, but does the 98 have that as well or just add it straight in where the dipstick is?

Also, general though on this, and I realize it could fit a lot of situations: The van runs fine for the most part, but lately if I get it on the highway for 10-15 minutes, or have been driving it in city for a while, a little thumping starts. It sounds like if you had a flat tire, minus the bouncing you would feel. After getting home from a longer trip it'd definitely be doing it, but the next morning it's fine. And when it occurs, it only does it when accelerating.

I don't know cars incredibly well, but in my head all I can think is that the transmission fluid is getting too hot after X amount of time which causes the thumping and why it gets progressively worse, but then goes away after the car has sat a while. Does that track at all? (Mind you, no issues with it shifting gears at all when the thumping is going on).

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It does have a transmission fill hole/ dipstick on the top of the transmission on the front. Make sure you only use Honda atf fluid and replace the drain washer. They usually take about 2.5 quarts, so you’ll have to buy 3 quarts of atf. The fluid level should be between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick. Check the fluid level after engine/transmission has warmed up, engine off and vehicle is on a flat surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1995 Odyssey. Bought at 148K miles. Now at 218K miles. I never changed the ATF, not sure when the previous owner did. Recently drained the fluid, it was dark, not great shifting. Shifting much better with new fluid. Then for a minor flush, drained again after 1000 miles. Shifting about the same. Takes only about 15 min to drain and fill, so this is one of the easiest maintenance items. Now planning on changing every 15K miles--I do not tow or run heavy, but do a lot of highway 70-80 MPH driving.
Fluid was DW1 from Honda, Only a little over $8/quart at dealer. Previous time used same washer, this time a new one. Likely one can change the washer every 2nd time safely ($3 for washer @ Honda dealer).
At 200K, transmission light was flashing--was shift control solenoid switch. Got one off Ebay, but gasket defective and leaked. Got refund and another. This worked OK. Only 3 bolts holding it on, easy to replace without removing much (think maybe one hose). There was a screen in the switch, which was clean. The magnetic drain plug had a quantity of maybe 1mm metal flakes on, none on 2nd changing.
I do have full service manual for the van. Often can get full manuals off Ebay for $30 or so.
For some reason, engine uses 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, has always done this. I used Mobil 1 10/30 High milage from my purchase. So every 5K miles it has an oil change, so just change the filter every 5-10K miles. Can not see it is burning oil or dripping, mechanics say "Some cars just use a lot!!!".
Replaced both front axles about 200K miles, wheel bearing @ 180K, then same bearing at 210K--not sure of the "problem"
I like this van, gets 25 MPG on highway. I run Hondas until they die (or get hit). Also have a 93 Accord with 205K miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I changed my fluid because it was dirty, the 1995 van had over 200k on it, nothing was wrong with the tranny but im the type of person who changes the my fluids when I buy any car/truck, BIG MISTAKE!!!! added the correct honda fluid and BOOOOOM..... never shifted again. Hey no worries, im slicker then the average bear, I turned it into a manual 5 speed van and she still runs with 400k on the tach,.... engine swap,head swap,tranny swap.... ect…… CAN'T STOP ME!!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
DW-1 or DZ-1? The '98s and 2nd gen had tranny issues and frequent drain and fills are recommended.
You just did a drain and fill, right? Not a power flush!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts