Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'99-'01 -P0401 and P1491 EGR TSB is here

Edit: If you go further down this thread you will find an updated TSB posted by 'baseball' for the EGR valve. It involves replacement of the egr valve only. In my opinion you could use both TSB's.

Since I have sent this EGR cleaning pdf file to about 20 members I thought there are probably more of you that could use it if it was easier to access it. So here is the link. Beware 150KB in size.

'99 - '01- P0401 and P1491 DTC - EGR port cleaning procedure

Updated September 2005 TSB 05-026 Click here!

Since I didn't have the pipe kit I just did certain steps to clean up the egr ports. My car has been running great since I did this over 6 months ago. I imagine at some point I will have to do it again since I didn't install the teflon pipe. Also many of you will have had this done by the dealer so definitely check with them first. Maybe they will do it using their 'Goodwill money.' If not continue on..

I performed steps 1 through 7, then did step 11, 14 through 21(step 17 I cleaned up my old egr valve. I skipped steps 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 22, 23 and 24.

If you disconnect the negative battery terminal before you start you will have to know
your radio code to be able to put it back in. My code was located on the inside of trunk lid. Not sure where yours would be.

Buy a new Throttle body gasket and a new EGR gasket (less than $10 total at the dealer). I needed them both. Pick up at least 1 can of throttle body cleaner, maybe even 2. About $2 a can. Use it liberally. I spent more time cleaning things than actually removing /replacing the parts listed in the TSB. It may sound overwhelming to you but it really wasn't bad. About 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Good luck!

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: '99-'01 -P0401 and P1491 EGR TSB is here

jpit said:
I imagine at some point I will have to do it again since I didn't install the teflon pipe. Also many of you will have had this done by the dealer so definitely check with them first.

John
You may have to do it again at some time but at least you know a temporary cure. This problem may still come up on engines that have the pipe kit installed.

:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
When did you add the Hayden 404 tranny cooler (how many miles)?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed my Hayden cooler when it had about 101k miles on it if I remember correctly. I would have installed it sooner had I known there were tranny problems with the Odyssey.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many thanks jpit. My dealer wanted $600 to do the EGR port cleaning (57k miles on my 2001 and they said "no warranty ..no way"). Two hours this Saturday and I had it done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
canepole said:
Many thanks jpit. My dealer wanted $600 to do the EGR port cleaning (57k miles on my 2001 and they said "no warranty ..no way"). Two hours this Saturday and I had it done.
Great news that you were able to do it yourself! Too bad about the dealer not honoring the emissions warranty. Thought it would have been good for up to 80k miles.

Thanks for responding and I'm glad it worked out for you. :nice:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Engine Hesitation EGR service bulletin 04-029

Just a heads up on a revised Service Bulletin on the EGR valve problem for 1999-2003.
The newer service bulletin 04-029 describes replacing the EGR valve.

Here:http://hondapilot.org/forums/attachment.php?postid=144530

or

http://hondapilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9416&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

The older SB 00-009 involved cleaning the EGR port and installing the EGR tube.

I wonder if some cars need repairs from both service bulletins to run right. I also wonder if the 2004 model which is not in SB 04-029 still has EGR problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the update baseball. I will edit my original post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder if some cars need repairs from both service bulletins to run right.
My '99 has 118k. I was alarmed by check engine light and fairly pronounced hesitation on highway trip to Michigan. I replaced just the EGR valve while at my friends house. It did run better however, I eventually threw another EGR code on the way home to TX. I had not cleaned the manifold as jpit suggested.

I have the egr pipe kit. I need to get the drill and mounting tool kit outlined in TSB (jpit's original post--- thanks jpit). I suspect the teflon tube doesn't buy you much more than cleaning the manifold. But hey, if I'm taking the manifold off, why not.

question-- how can I get copies of TSBs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay, I found the EGR toolkit. $70 for a drillbit and pipe tamper tool!!! (Tell them to type numbers in w/o hyphens and w/o "T/N")
Option B: The service fee is $118 for the quoted 1.5hrs of labor. I already bought the EGR replacement parts kit for $99 which consisted of throttlebody gasket, egr valve, and infamous tube.
Option C: request work be done under goodwill service. needs approval from district service manager or Zone office. ...shakes head doubtfully.
edit: Option D: just clean the intake manifold as jpit and other's suggested and don't worry about enlarging the port. I think I like this option.

baseball -- Thx. I'm referring to a list of TSB's for our Odysseys. Would be nice to see what Honda is telling their techs to fix on these vans. But I am clued in to using the HondaPilot website for possible info since they obviously have same engine.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Does the intake manifold really needs to come out? The picture shows the whole exploded view.

However, the alloted time (1.5hrs) seems to be not sufficient to take the entire thing off, clean and put it back.

Thanks,
- Vikas

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sontakke said:
Does the intake manifold really needs to come out? The picture shows the whole exploded view.

However, the alloted time (1.5hrs) seems to be not sufficient to take the entire thing off, clean and put it back.

Thanks,
- Vikas
Yes, it will need to come off since you will find the ports on the backside of it most likely clogged with black gooey exhaust. You will use the drill bit there to clean it out as well as its' mating surface on the engine side of it. 1.5 hours is more than enough time to remove it, clean and replace it, just make sure you buy a throttle body gasket and and an EGR gasket before you start the job. You will most likely need them both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for posting the TSBs here ---- just the information I needed to get this work done at no charge by the dealer. I have an '01 w/73,000 miles and once I described the symptoms and the corresponding TSB, my service rep just nodded and said, "no problem."

If your dealer attempts to charge you for this work, my service invoice lists this as:

120124 Odyssey Warranty Extension; EGR Port Clogging - Clean the EGR Port, and Install the EGR Pipe Kit. S/B# 00-009.

Hope this detail helps....

Dave

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is this warrenty in effect if the van was purchased used? I have a 2000 EX with 64k of miles the CEL just popped on and the engine seems to idle a little rough.

Thanks for any responses!

**Update just took it out for a drive and got on it a little, couldn't seem to get it to kick down and go over 3,000 RPM's while driving it the TCS light did come on. The light did go back out after I stopped at the gas station, I drove it back home only CEL is on now.

-Zach

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
All emissions related items are warranted to usually 80k no matter how many owners a vehicle has had. The problem you describe, sohowcome, sounds like the automatic transmission. Your model year has had it's warranty extended to 100k by Honda. Take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
egads said:
All emissions related items are warranted to usually 80k no matter how many owners a vehicle has had. The problem you describe, sohowcome, sounds like the automatic transmission. Your model year has had it's warranty extended to 100k by Honda. Take it to a dealer.
Thanks for the info. I did take it to autozone yesterday and the code was P0401. Could it still be the tranny? I still have yet to recreate the TCS light coming on and the engine isnt going into protection mode anymore (It went up to 5,500 rpm with no problems) Thanks for your advice. I have been reading this board for a while and it seems everyone has very good opinions on here.

-Zach

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For those that are still using this thread as a reference, here is the new EGR related TSB that was released last month.

As an additional note, my wife's Odyssey is starting to experience the slight hesitation and occasional surge so I will most likely be purchasing the new kit since I have over 136k miles on the Ody now. I cleaned the ports about a year ago and it worked fine up until now. Probably would work fine again if I just did another cleaning but I'm hoping to get a little longer out of it and I would hate to see it start happening again in the middle of our New England winter! FYI, when I went to Honda to ask about a discount on the kit they wouldn't budge. Looks like I will be spending the $97 for the new kit which the parts dept said includes the EGR valve, gasket, and the teflon tube. He didn't have any in stock yet but indicated he had 3 coming in next Wednesday so I'll stop by then.

Updated EGR related TSB 05-026

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a follow-up. Because I had 116k miles before throwing CEL, I performed the cleanout procedure w/o enlarging the port. I'm now thinking that while I had the manifold off, I should have taken it to dealer and asked them to drill it out for me. OR just let the dealer do the entire job (depends on your finances)

One lesson learned - carb cleaner kills St Augustine grass :eek:

jpit - How many miles after cleanout did you get before it exhibited the symptoms again?

1 - 20 of 165 Posts