Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice/help concerning the purchase of a used '99 LX. The van is a lease turn-in with almost 28,000 (for only $18,500 with addition of remote entry and roof rack!). A Honda dealer has the vehicle, and upon my first test drive I noticed a very prominent "knocking" sound from the engine at idle, almost like a quiet diesel engine. After the test drive the noise was still there so the dealer's mechanic came out, listened, and took it back to the service bay to fix what he thought were loose valves. I drove back home to wait for the valves to cool and be readjusted, but the next day got a call saying that the #3 piston/sleeve was scored and Honda was going to install a new ("updated") short block assembly under warranty.

My question is whether this should scare me away from this vehicle. Was there a design flaw with that engine? Has anyone else heard of this problem? And most importantly, is it possible that there was a lack of lubricant to the upper portion of the engine such that I should worry about damage to the valves, head, etc.??

The dealer has agreed to replace all drive belts, and may throw in an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty as well. Anything else you can suggest to replace while they're in there?

Any other comments? For what it's worth, this vehicle appears in good shape and I've spoken to the previous owner who says he had a mechanic regularly change the oil.

thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It sounds to me like you're gonna be in pretty good shape when all is done. Basically a new engine, a good price and an extended warranty. If he extends the warranty, I can't see what you'd have to be concerned about as long as you can trust him and so far, at least, he seems to be doing right by you.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 08-27-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts