Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I was at the Honda dealer, they told me that I had an oil leak. They wanted $105 to trace the leak which would be appied to the repair, if I wanted it done.
Today, I took it to a local shop and they told me that the leak was coming from the rear main seal. A few drops only.
They also said that the job should be done by Honda or some other reputable place that could handle it.
The mechanic said that I am probably looking at a cost of over $1000.
Is that estimate about right?
Also as it only leaks a few drops at a time, is there any problem with doing
nothing and just adding oil, as needed?
Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The transmission needs to be removed to access the rear main seal. A big job, labour cost is about right. There is nothing wrong with keeping the oil topped up though. Check some other posts, some others have experimented with synthetic vs standard motor oils.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The rear seal leak is a pain because it's not hard to fix, just time consuming because as said above the tranny has to be pulled to fix it. As for the labor cost it seems a little high but not too much. Personally I would wait until you have some other service work that needs to be done to combine the labor costs. I ran with mine doing the drip-drip routine for about 9 months until I got tired of it and had my mechanic pull it to replace the seal. Of course it started leaking two months after I had the timing belt and water pump replaced, couldn't do it beforehand.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's ok to just do nothing, just get a drip pan.
Try a different oil: non-synthetic 10W-30 might stop the leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
greg.... stop beating yourself up or wondering if you could have saved money if it started leaking sooner. the rear main seal is on the other side of the engine and has nothing to do with the timing belt or water pump. there would be no labor savings to do both at the same time. crank seal yes, rear main no. as for the leak mine is doing the same and the price is about right but the part is only $60 of the cost......labor sucks. does anyone have success with changing oil type and stopping/slowing the leak?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I beat myself up for it because I caused the leak.:( Switched to full-synthetic at 85K plus on a used car and created leaks all over the place. I would have had some labor savings due to the fact that my mechanic is also a friend. It was more annoying than anything else.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts