Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 1999 Odyessy with 196k on it. Well, this morning my sister I came out and started the van and after leaving the driveway and getting into the street (maybe 15feet?) I noticed all the lights on the dash flickered on and then the van immediately died afterwards while stopped at the stop sign infront of the house. I tried starting the van again but to no luck, it would start up and die immediately. Next, I held the gas maybe quarter throttle and started it and it revved up with no problems and held it at 2500rpms for about 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds I let go of the gas pedal and it dies immediately. So after about a minute or so I did the same thing but held the gas for about 2 or 3 minutes and it idled fine. There are no check engine lights or anything. We drove the car to the gym, then to annapolis (about 20miles away), super market and then home (all together about 40mile trip) the car ran fine. I am lost at this point. I'm thinking it is the battery and alternator. Anyone else have this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it works fine now. I've asked others and they say it sounds like the ignition switch. Advice on how to check the idle air control valve?

·
Registered
40 Posts
cold start/die

I had a similar issue with an old Isuzu... When dead cold, the engine would start, and then die after a few seconds (but only 4-5 seconds)... Once warm, or once it continued running, you could turn it off, and it would always start and run fine... just that initial cold start... Never dying on the road...

Then I found that if I held the gas pedal down, so when it started it would rev to 3000+ rpm (not recommended with a cold engine), it was fine...

Turned out, the alternator wasn't charging full. Enough to keep the battery full, but in the morning, the low output caused the computer to think the engine wasn't running, and it would shut the fuel pump off...

Finally replaced the alternator (after several years), and never had the problem again...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do you have a lot of stuff on your keychain? If it was the ignition swith, it would start out being intermittent and totally random then at somepoint it would die. If you can predict when it is happening - then probably something else.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L
13 Posts
Curious to hear if you ever solved this. I have a '99 with a bit over 200K miles that exhibits similar symptoms, though not exactly the same. When very cold (single digits above zero or colder) it will pop right off and run smoothly for a few seconds but then die. Subsequent starts will be similar, but when it finally continues to run, it idles roughly - and will stumble when shifting gears from that point forward. If I do run it in that condition and then re-start it after it cools a bit, it will start and run just fine. Also, leaving the vehicle alone until the weather warms up to maybe 10 degrees or warmer and will will start and run fine. Strange. This morning after sitting outside with an overnight low temp of +3 F it exhibited this behavior and threw an error code, but until I determine which one I won't have any more clues. It clearly seems to be temperature related, but I'm haven't figured out if it's electrical, fuel, air, or ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
May be your engine is sensitive to motor oil. Conventional motor oil at that temperature turns really think like wax. The engine will shut off if not lubricate properly. I would try full synthetic 0Wxx such as Mobil1 0W30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts