Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have benefitted from posts on this forum in the past and have finally become a member. Most notably I turned first here when the van started mysteriously cutting out when pulling out of an intersection a couple years ago - YIKES! Turned out to be a simple ignition unit replacement and lots of DIY satisfaction! My van doesn't like going to the dealer or anyone else for service and we have bonded over the years.

Maybe I can give something back to the forum one day.

'99 EX w/ 180k
Original Tranny
3rd Cat (in the market for my forth now - might not go so cheap this time)
Nothing but M1 5-30
Drivers side slider door bits have been replaced over time.
Fuel Pump and Relay.
EGR Port repair (Honda Tech loaned me the tools)
Normal maintenance stuff
Nothing special added - but if something falls off, I am apt to spray paint it and put it back on for "character"

·
Registered
166 Posts
cfluke-

Welcome - I noticed you had an ignition issue on your '99, how did it start? My '02 just recently started having this issue and I thought it was various other parts but (thanks to this forum) believe it to be the ignition as well. My problem is that the Ody may go days without having the issue and then for no reason die, or she would start fine then I'd jump out at the post office and then she wouldn't start. Does any of this sound familiar to your '99?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cmblair,

This seems to be the exact issue. The ignition cylinder gets pitted and worn over time and the angle that your key sits in that switch allows it to easily shut off your car simply by the inertia of the weighted key upon acceleration - or even if you bump it. Your first quick fix should be to go with just your naked key (without keychain) to remove that shut-off risk until you can get the part from Majestic or your favorite Honda parts supply. If you are not sure if this is the cause... just start your van and then just see how little counter clockwise pressure it takes with the key to shut the van off. In my case it took very little pressure to move it an 1/8 inch and turn it off. Pretty easy fix if this is the culprit. I told the wife to keep the keychain weight down since then but it is already loaded up again. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cmblair,
I just realized that you said the van "Won't Start" after shutting down from an attempted acceleration. I had this problem too but took I local shop. It was fixed with a new fuel pump and fuel pump relay. I am very confident now that all it needed was the relay since it was an electrical problem in nature (everything shut down).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts