Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Ody. Owned since new, just cresting 200k miles!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Incorrectly posted this in the 05-2010 forum...

BIL just got sidetracked in State College PA when his 99 Ody blew the tranny fluid out through the dipstick on I80.
Got towed to an Aamco and they say they have to take the tranny out and rebuild it to find the problem.

He doesn't want to go that route and is unsure of using Aamco in general (shop says they do about 1 Odyssey tranny per month).

Any recommendations for a reliable Ody mechanic in State College?

Thoughts on why the fluid would blow out the dipstick?

Recommendations on what to do? Van has 200k on it and may not be worth $3-$4k in repairs.

Any thoughts on getting it 300 miles back home to CT?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Joe

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
If you want to keep the van, consider a Jasper or Gator transmission as many have had good luck with these. Do a search on "Jasper" or "Gator" for more info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NDNV.
I called Gator and they are quoting $1695 +$300 shipping (150 each for tranny and core). If they keep the van that'll be the route to go. Trying to figure out though what caused the problem (working remotely from CT, they're in PA) and whether the tranny is toast or if there is a fix to limp home. The garage says the codes thrown were "incorrect gear ratio" and "torque converter/clutch solenoid circuit". Not sure which of those would build the backpressure to blow the tranny fluid out the dipstick. I'm thinking that the tranny is dead. This is the second tranny, Honda remanned it under warranty at about 80k.
THanks,
Joe

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Search around on here and you'll see this has happened a few times. The ones I can remember all said it worked fine after the tranny cooled down. Has anyone tried driving it since? I'd see if it drives normally and check for codes if all good then change the fluid and keep going.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike.
No, no one tried to drive it after cooling down. Unfortunately it's 5 hours away and I can't play with it. They ended up renting a car and leaving the van at the shop. They will probably be going with a Gator tranny and have it installed locally for $660. It's a tough call due to the age and mileage but the only alternative is to abandon it.
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts