Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shirking my duty as far as keeping the cars clean a bit lately and finally went out to wash my wife's Celica this A.M.

A couple of weeks ago she backed into a tree and the left rear corner of the car had scrapes over about a square foot. I wanted to wash the car in preparation for starting the cleanup on the scrape. There are three or four shallow gouges where the paint has been taken right off and about 20 or 30 horizontal marks that I thought would require sanding.

I couldn't believe the percentage of the scrape marks that came off with the washing! Virtually all of it. Obviously it still needs a little light body work, but it was one helluva test case for the Zaino.

There were also a couple of light parking lot scrapes and a place where she dragged the passenger side mirror along a painted cabinet in the garage that washed off completely, leaving no trace whatsoever.

It looks like this may be the real reason to use the Zaino. Mild impacts don't penetrate the paint as easily with the Z applied.

PS: Since I started using the Zaino, I've NEVER had to use any cleaners on the paint to remove bugs, tar, gum, etc. Everything has washed right off!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Chuck; nothing against our wives; but I have often wondered about their focus when driving.

*All* of the scuffs on our Ody have come from my wife; now don't get me wrong..I LOVE her..but I am curious what the pyschology behind this is. I go through the same ATMs as she does and don't scrape the metal yellow bar along the bottom...and thats just one of a variety of minor 'scratches', etc. that seem to develop when she's been driving for a few days. I consider her to be a careful driver, but there just seems to be something missing (awareness perhaps?) when she's out on the road...like when I see a potential pothole (ok, maybe its just an indentation or 'rough pavement') up ahead and she's driving; I wince because I know she's going to barrel over it and I don't want to be a 'back-seat' driver and keep nagging her.

Oh well; just different driving styles, I suppose. I just 'feel' like I'm more careful when driving the van (and my 87 Accord!) around.

Ok, I hope that didn't sound negative; I realize its more _my_ analness than anything my wife is doing wrong; it just feels good to tell someone.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Chuck; nothing against our wives; but I have often wondered about their focus when driving.

*All* of the scuffs on our Ody have come from my wife; now don't get me wrong..I LOVE her..but I am curious what the pyschology behind this is. I go through the same ATMs as she does and don't scrape the metal yellow bar along the bottom...and thats just one of a variety of minor 'scratches', etc. that seem to develop when she's been driving for a few days. I consider her to be a careful driver, but there just seems to be something missing (awareness perhaps?) when she's out on the road...like when I see a potential pothole (ok, maybe its just an indentation or 'rough pavement') up ahead and she's driving; I wince because I know she's going to barrel over it and I don't want to be a 'back-seat' driver and keep nagging her.

Oh well; just different driving styles, I suppose. I just 'feel' like I'm more careful when driving the van (and my 87 Accord!) around.

Ok, I hope that didn't sound negative; I realize its more _my_ analness than anything my wife is doing wrong; it just feels good to tell someone.
</font>
Well, I can't disagree with what you've pointed out.

There's no argument that I've done all of the same things, but I'd say she beats me with about a ten to one ratio.

I'll stick my neck on the block here and see what kind of argument ensues: It's been my experience that the men often cause the serious, life-threatening accidents more often than not, but the women are more often responsible for the little misjudgments that result in the small scrapes and dents done to the cars.

Statistically it's been my observation that men do the stupid things behind the wheel while the women display their lack of where the boundaries of their vehicles are.

Now, I'm probably in trouble with the men AND the women!

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
(SuperMom says...)
The reason wives may have trouble in drive-thru situations is that their arms are typically shorter than men's, and therefore they must drive closer or end up opening the door anyway.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
ckonarske hit the nail on the head!

I am the one in my family that has been hit, has hit other cars, even ran into a japanese guy christmas day (he had been in the US only five weeks), and even have had parked cars hit while parked in those way out spots to avoid car dings only to have another car run into me (two different times). Guess I'll take a door ding over a crunch.

Anyhow, the wife has never been hit or hit another car while she was behind the wheel. She and women in general are more careful and not in as much of a horry as us men. However, she has no clue where the front, side or rear of the car is at any given point in time like I do. This is why I scare her at drive-ups, atm's and traffic jams. She is amazed at the narrow spaces I've gotten through without even stopping to double check that the mirrors will make it.

So, if I (and any other man that will admit it) will just slow down and realize that we will still get there and quit being as agressive as we tend to be, we men will quit having or being in wrecks. That combined with our sense of presence of knowing the boudaries of our cars will make us men perfect drivers.

So ckonarske, you are not in trouble with me. You are just more honest and humble than most and can admit that we cause more accidents than the women.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On the driving,

the actuaries definitely agree that men destroy more cars than women. Hence the higher premiums for the three legged drivers.
:stupid:

I agree that we have a better spatial sense. That combined with our aggresiveness helps us destroy more cars.

In the meantime, women have better judgment as far as 'survival' situations go and what really matters in life while you are alive (;) ). That combined with not-as-good spatial abilities and the realization that "the car is just that: a car" will make them more tolerant of scratches and scrapes.

As long as we are filling up the piggy bank, those are my 2 cents.

H

·
0 Posts
From a former actuary. . . .

The stats do not lie that men are involved in more accidents, but (please women do not hate me) we need to look into how many miles each sex drives. It is possible that men crash less per mile driven than women.

Just wanted to throw that out there - I do not agree with it but I certainly know men who do!! For the record, I can count my at fault accidents on one hand (using fingers, knuckles do not count).

Oh yea - the reason I read this page. My Ody will be picked up in about a month and I am thinking about the Zaino.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts