Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 odyssey ex. My ac went out and shortly after the compressor actually seized up. it was destroying my serpentine belt. straightforward enough, so I bought a new compressor and belt and had installed professionally. MY AC STILL DOES NOT WORK:mad:. My controls all work properly, the fans run as they should, but NO cold air. Not sure where else to look? Took it back to the garage and they said I "must have got a bad compressor because it holds a charge and I think they said the clutch kicks in but the compressor doesn't run." Is it possible that my new compressor is a dud, or is there something else i'm missing here? I have $600 in this and my ac doesn't work any better than it did. The only thing I solved was I'm not having my serpentine belt destroying itself. Thanks for any responses as I am clueless:huh:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
That is the downfall of buying the parts and having them do the work. If they say the clutch isn't running the compressor it is probably bad. If they are a licensed shop let them get the parts and fix it then they will be responsible if the parts fail.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do you know if your original compressor was locked-up due to a siezed clutch bearing (supports the pulley, is spinning always even when the compressor is idle), or if the compressor itself locked up? If the latter, your entire A/C system is probably contaminated with metallic debris from the compressor, and this is a very expensive fix due to the labor involved in flushing out the system (and in some cases the evaporators must be replaced because the tiny passages in them become clogged). You could also have clogged orifice tubes or expansion valves. I hope for your sake that this isn't the case.

The shop's explanation is questionable, as when the clutch engages the compressor is operating. Is the compressor short-cycling (staying on for only a few seconds at a time)? I'd ask around and find a competent shop that is proficient with A/C system work and not spend a penny more at the original shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts