Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here replaced the A/C Pollen filter (AKA A/C Filter)???

I did the a/c filter change today at 34,000 miles. Honda's recommendation:
30,000 miles OR 2 years for Normal Condition
15,000 miles OR 1 years for Urban or Severe Condtion

The instruction guide provided by Handa-accessories and HELM service manual initailly looked very simple. So I thought this would be a 5-minute-maintenance job. Boy was I wrong!!!!

See my installation picture for better understanding.
Also see the instruction guide provided by Handa-accessories and HELM service manual.

1. Took the glove box off as per HELM manual. Simple and fast, 3 minutes.

2. Cut Plastic Cross Brace (to be discarded). This cutting process takes a little more time, give about 5 minutes.

3. Remove the 2 exposed Phillips screws. Simple and fast.

4. Remove the exposed 8mm bolt (It's located on the left side, nearer to passanger door.). Simple and fast.

5. Remove the Hidden 8mm bolt (It's located behind the center dash panel trim). Tight space and time consuming, give about 8 minutes. Use only 8mm ratchets (wrenches are too bulky).

6. With the 2 bolts and 2 screws removed (step 3,4 & 5), the Metal Cross Brace (used to be located/hidden behind Plastic Cross Brace) can now be removed.

7. Remove Filter Lid from Evaporator, replace the A/C filter, re-install every thing in reverse order...Done! TOTAL TIME = Approx. 30 minutes !!!

I was shocked when I got the old A/C filter out. It was so dirty and thought the green-ish-looking powder dust could be some sort of algea or mold!!! Cant believe we have been breathing in those dusts, microscopic particles and "algea and mold" all this time. The Ody has lived in Houston, TX, for the first 2 years of its life and I do not consider Houston as a "severe driving condition" zone. But seeing the amount of particles on the old A/C filter reminded me that Houston is the top 2 cities with the worst-polluted air condition in the USA. Now, that makes me think of my own air filters (AKA my lungs)...Eeerr any doctors here? I think Im not breathing as well as before

I would recommend this maintenance to all owners - especially those 1999 owners like me
. Since I have learned and got the hang of it, I plan to replace the A/C filter every year or every 10,000 miles. Why? 'Coz I want to have the cleanest air possible. I know its (relatively) expensive at $25 ... but can you imagine breathing in algeas or molds, EEeeuuwww!
Yucks!!!
I hope this li'l instruction guide from me would be of good help to all owners.

I'll be doing the Engine Air Filter in the next few days.

------------------

[This message has been edited by abyez (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks Abyez,

This should get copied to the Tech section, to make it easier to find in the future.

Jim?

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
"The Ody has lived in Houston, TX, for the first 2 years of its life and I do not consider Houston as a "severe driving condition" zone"

Read your manual. Houston would be severe because of the high summer temperatures if not for the humidity.

"TOTAL TIME = Approx. 30 minutes !!!"

For comparison, I changed the equivalent filter in my Saturn L last fall. On that car you just slide off some weather strip, screw a plastic lid off, pull the old element out, install new one, secure the lid back on, slide weatherstrip back on it's holder - about a two minute job and all accessable from under the hood at the the top of the fire wall.

I'm rather disapointed thus far with Honda's lack of vision for making maintanence a simple task, especially considering it is fairly intense compared to other cars on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Thanks Abyez,

This should get copied to the Tech section, to make it easier to find in the future.

Jim?
</font>
Heck yeah! Excellent job, Abyez.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Thanks Abyez,

Jim?

Originally posted by Jim F:
Heck yeah! Excellent job, Abyez.</font>
Thanks ya'll, Im just as excited to be able to contribute to the club.

Jim, If you need a hand to make a "Tech" on this, just drop me a line - I'd be happy to help.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
Read your manual. Houston would be severe because of the high summer temperatures if not for the humidity.</font>
Actually I have never thought of the humidity factor at all, until you said it
- yep my bad
. But I think the High summer temperatures would have little effect (or none at all - debatable) in A/C filter replacement cycle. The real important factor is that Houston has higher level of micro-pollens and pollutants in the air compared to most other American Cities with an OBVIOUS exception to L.A.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by texneus:
I'm rather disapointed thus far with Honda's lack of vision for making maintanence a simple task, especially considering it is fairly intense compared to other cars on the road.</font>
I think Honda prefers owners to pay dealers to do maintenace rather than DIY. So making maintenance simple does not rank as high as squeeze-out-every-gallon-posible-from-the-VTEC engineering policy.
I guess Honda takes great pride at their Engine efficiency and technology - too much infact, not that it's bad though.

And bear in mind that I am not an auto-technician and I am not very fond of maintaining my own vehicles. So the 30-minute thing is just for me. Maybe Chuck, Nemo or (anyone who is comfy at tearing/mod-ing their van) may be timed much faster than I.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vquan:
Why is that plastic cross brace even there if you end up cutting and discarding it?

Originally posted by ckonarske:
Just a guess, but it probably just adds rigidity to the dash to make it easier to handle during assembly. Then it can be discarded when necessary.</font>
Chuck is right, I agree (too).

------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
"But I think the High summer temperatures would have little effect (or none at all - debatable) in A/C filter replacement cycle."

Probably true, but seriously, one of the items in your manual that qualifies the Odyssey as operating in a severe environment is if the temperature is >90F. I don't know why they even bother publishing a "normal" schedule with that kind of restriction.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you guys think that our Ody cabin air filters are expensive you should check he Chevrolet Venture, $75.00CDN(for the pair) versus $42.00CDN for the Honda.

The good side for Chev it's a less then a 5 minutes job. Open the glove box, remove whatever is inside the glove box (Owner's manual) et voila, you got them in plain sight. You pull them out and insert the new ones, put back the owners manual inside the glove box, close the glove box and "Big trumpets" its done.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Happy New Year to all

Robert

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any .jpg's for this procedure?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts