Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you first crank up the Ody, the compressor is not engaged (as far as I can tell- my Toyota Tundra is like this too). When the compressor kicks in after a few seconds, you can usually hear the drain on the engine, etc. Mine makes an audible thunk when it comes on. If you turn the climate control off before you turn off the van, then after startup you manually turn on the A/C, there is a loud (can hear inside the van) metal on metal clunk as it engages. We have not moved out of park, so it can't be the tranny. I also cannot reproduce the noise every time.

The way I understand it, the compressor is seperate from the engine, and powered by belt- i'm really wondering what tewo metal parts could be engaging. I have not had the chance to open the hood and investigate.

I'll take any ideas you may have.

------------------
01 TW EX/Navi

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
That is the noise that I originally though was a tranny clunk. Atleast now we know what's going on so it's not so traumatic.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm hearing a load "bang" when the compressor on my EX kicks in immediately after start-up. Seems to be associated with having the rear climate control switch left on, and then starting the car. We always had a bit of a thump before when the compressor kicked in, but this is noticeably different - almost as if someone took a 5 lb mallet and whacked a structural member of the van. It only does it once, after vehicle is first started, and don't hear it any more for the duration of the trip. Don't notice any degradation of cooling, and can't see anything amiss under the hood. Unfortunately my wife is doing taxi duty for kids at summer camp and doesn't want to lose the van to the dealer right now.
Anybody had any experience with this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by waltp:
I'm hearing a load "bang" when the compressor on my EX kicks in immediately after start-up. </font>
WaltP,

I also have the same problem on my 01 EX. What was the position of your front wheel when this happened? Straight or turned to the side? I know this may sound strange. I got the feeling that it only happened when the wheel is turned to the side while the car was in parked.

My theory is a turned front wheel would tighten the power steering belt and other pulleys that linked to the belt, which eventually put more strain to the AC compressor and caused the lound "bang" when it was turned on. I could be wrong here. What do you think?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wooooooooooo, Azzzz!

I think you're on to something! Anyone want to investigate further?

I notice the clunk as well, but yesterday it was LOUD when I was leaving to run an errand. The big difference?

My wife had backed the Ody in to unload groceries and so the front wheels were cut at a 45 degree angle or so...

Let's start getting some data on this from everyone to see if there's actually a connection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Honda has a mention of it in their latest "Service News" for dealers. It says:

"On '99-01 Odysseys, the A/C Compressor can make a loud cluck when you start the engine with the A/C on after the vehicle has been sitting for a while (overnight). This noise is a normal characteristic of the vehicle and needs no repair. Here's the reason why: When the compressor and the lines are cool after sitting overnight the R-134a refrigerant condenses. When you start the engine with the A/C on, the compressor gets a dose of liquid R-143a and makes a loud clunk. To make sure the nosie is coming from the compressor and not from somewhere else, start the engine with the compressor or the climate control turne doff. If yo udon't hear a clunk, the condensed R-134a in the compressor is the cause."

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys. I would like to agree with you Trevor, but the sound that I heard from the A/C compressor was too loud and I don't think it can be normal. In fact it was kind of scary to hear it. Since then I don't park the car with the wheel in an angle anymore and don't even want to try and test my theory. Actually, it happened only once and I believe that was the first time I parked the car with the wheel turned to the right. (I am 95% sure of this, the car's only 2.5 months old) Since then I haven't heard the sound. If what you say is correct shouldn't it happen every morning?

I read in other posts here that mentioned about dealer having to change the A/C pulley to fix the problem and that's why I thought it has to do with the belts. I am sure we all know about steering wheel belt that tighten itself when we make a turn and for some cars even make a squeeling sound (especially those big old American cars) I thought maybe the car's still new and needs time for the belts to loosen up a little bit and hoping that the problem will go away by itself. I hate to go to the dealer (which is about 90 miles away) to have it checked and not knowing whether or not the car can produce that particular sound again at the dealership.

Again, thanks for all your response.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine has done this on about three occasions - and it sounds really awful! The wheels were straight too. I have an LX and always leave the a/c switch on. My wife said she saw a puff of smoke come out from under the hood, but further investigation revealed nothing. It's a very intermittent problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RE: A/C Clunk

Good thought about the position of wheels. Of course now that I'm looking, the A/C hasn't made the clunk in past week.
Only thing I've noticed is that the rear climate control is already on each time we've started van and heard the bang.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts