Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience the A/C blowing hot air from the drivers side left vent and the left most center vent and cold air from passenger's right most center vent and right vent?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
What model year?

You may be low on refrigerant.

Check for leaks. Remove corrugated tubing from rear wheel well to avoid corrosion of the lines. Check for rock damage to the condenser - needs protection like gutter guard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to get two hoses replaced. I had leaked at two shrader valves. They said they were the A/C suction line and the A/C discharge line. $526. WOW! part numbers 80321-shj-a02 and 80341-shj-a01.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The "low freon" speculation...needs to be investigated. I suspect the cold air coming out of the passenger side is plenty cold, which would not be possible with a freon leak.

Before bringing it into the shop, check out the driver's side air mix motor. This has been an issue with previous model years - if the air mix motor is the issue, it can be fixed in 15 minutes for free.

I don't have enough points to paste links...so use the odyclub search box and search for "Hot air on driver side vents - Cold on passenger side" and read posts #63 and #72 on page 5 - the latter is mine.
[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the exact thing happen early last summer. My friend owns a body shop and they have the equipment to check for leaks and add Freon. My Odyssey was low. He evacuated the Freon to see how much was in there vs. what the spec. should have been. Turns out it was low, but not by much. He added what was needed and it stopped running warm on the driver side vents, where it blew cold on the passenger side. He said even the Freon being slightly low can cause the issue the OP and I experienced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Low refrigerant can most definitely cause the AC on many makes of cars to blow warm on one side of the vehicle. I've experienced this myself in two BMWs, one Nissan, and a Ford. Top it off according to spec and marvel as the AC blows as it should on both sides. Note that I said "to spec" because over-servicing an AC system will also cause it not to function.

Speaking of blowing warm on one side, BMWs seem to default to warm on the passenger's side. Not sure if it's designed that way to keep the driver cool at the expense of the other cabin occupants, but there you go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's a YouTube video on this. There are two baffle actuators, one on the passenger side and one on the driver's side that direct heat or cooling to each side of the vents. That actuator can fail and you get the symptoms you described. The video shows how to check to see if the actuator is moving or not, and replacing the actuator is covered in the video and doesn't look too difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue this month with my 08 Ex - driver side not blowing chilled air, but passenger side was.

alternately moved the temp from HI (max heat)to LO (max cool) and verified that the actuator motor under the dash was indeed moving. checked under the hood that the valve appeared to be opening and closing with cable movement.
observed that at LO, the vent emitted air at the ambient temperature. with the motor running, observed that the vent emitted heated air.

mechanic added refrigerant and the issue was resolved. 10 year old vehicle had never had A/C service. No other repairs needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issue. Hot on driver side, cold on other. I was sure it wasn't low refrigerant.... I mean if its blowing cold on one side, it has enough in the system to work correctly, right? Had it checked, and it was low. Added refrigerant. Fixed the problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
^ Same. I as well went through all the blend doors and the self-diagnostic HVAC process. Low on refrigerant was my issue as well, 11 years in service for on my '07 EXL. This is the first A/C system service ever performed as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts