Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just registered for these forums today. I didn't even think to look for Odyssey forums the first time my parents' van experienced problems. In any case, I'm glad you guys are here :)

I don't really understand the terminology for A/C's so maybe that's why I can't find anything.

We recently had the freon in our A/C recharged because it was blowing hot air. The A/C worked great for about 2 days and then stopped working again.

The dealership says that the main pump on the compressor needs to be replaced. From my searching, I came to the conclusion that what they mean is that the whole compressor needs to be replaced.

They want to charge us about $1300 for the job. Is this normal for jobs of this magnitude? A brief search made it seem like this was just a bolt on job and the part is less than $300.

Are my parents getting ripped off?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I would get a second opinion with an A/C speciality shop who will check the system over for leaks etc. As for cost goes, a compressor is $500 online and the labour to evacuate the system and install the compressor would probably be in the ballpark of your quote.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Depending on how the compressor failed, there could be more to the repair than just a new compressor. The receiver-drier is built in to the condenser, and if the compressor grenaded and sent scrap metal into the condenser and receiver-drier, you'll probably need a new condenser/receiver-drier unit.

I'm not intimately familiar with the AC system in the Odyssey, so I'm not sure what the typical procedure is when the system is opened. Often when a shop does major repair work it is standard procedure to replace the receiver-drier. When the receiver-driver is an integral part of the condenser as with the Odyssey, that means things might cost more. I also don't know what type of screen is in place before the receiver-drier and if it would contain any metal and keep it from getting inside. And I don't know if you can even flush the unit to remove particles or if you just have to get a new one.

On systems with separate components, you can often flush the condenser and lines and re-use them while replacing only the orifice tube and receiver-drier. But that's not the case here. (Edit: looks like the Odyssey has an expansion valve and not an orifice tube.)

So I could see this repair approaching or exceeding $1k depending on what parts are needed and when labor is taken into account. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from a good AC shop that you think you can trust.

Edit: Found an old post by me in 2006 where I stated that although you can't remove the receiver-drier from the condenser, you can open it and remove and replace the desiccant. I doubt you are going to find any shop that wants to do this, but if it is possible and someone wants to take this approach it could potentially save you money by allowing you to reuse your condenser/receiver-drier assembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts