Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2008 Odyssey EX-L.

Winter passed, and my wife went to turn on the A/C. It blew warm air. I confirmed this myself. The blower can be anywhere from low to high, so I assume it is not the transistor as mentioned in other posts. When I check the pressure on the low pressure side, I get 90-95 psi whether the a/c is running or not. I am not sure what the spec is for the Honda, but on other vehicles, it seems like the pressure went down when it is running.

The only link for a manual on the side is for one from a site that is now banned, so I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. I figure I need to check to see if the compressor actually starts, and then do electrical tests. But I am grasping...

Help, please!
HWM

·
Registered
176 Posts
90 on low at rest is about right ( 30-35 when on) sounds like the compressor is not comanded to cycle in. having not done AC on many honda's but from reading here the relays are highly suspect

Al

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90 on low at rest is about right ( 30-35 when on) sounds like the compressor is not comanded to cycle in. having not done AC on many honda's but from reading here the relays are highly suspect
Al,
Thanks for the reply. I have not found a service manual yet. When I turn the a/c on, I can feel the rpms take a momentary dip, like the clutch is engaging. Still think it is relays? If so, where are these relays? Are they simple "apply 12V to pin 1&3 and check for continuity" type tests?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Al,
Thanks for the reply. I have not found a service manual yet. When I turn the a/c on, I can feel the rpms take a momentary dip, like the clutch is engaging. Still think it is relays? If so, where are these relays? Are they simple "apply 12V to pin 1&3 and check for continuity" type tests?
Yep, pretty much so. The relay in question is in the main fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. Mine was a black one between two green ones. The picture on the fuse box cover is a snowflake FWIW. The two pins that are closest to the front of the car are 12 v power and stator to engage the clutch. With the key in Acc II, jump those pins together. If you hear a click, you're golden. Turn the key off and measure the resistance from the stator pin to ground, should be 4-5 ohms.

Go to the dealer and buy a new relay, 7 or 8 bucks.

If not, search for "05 compressor clutch" and read up on other modes of failure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Regardie,

I have similiar issue. Can I perform your test by swapping relays within the fuse box? seems as if "top" row relays are the same as the a/c (snowflake) relay on the "bottom" row. I presume relay failures can not be visually diagnosed? Thanks for your suggestions.
(Thank you hwmonkey for original post.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Regardie,

I have similiar issue. Can I perform your test by swapping relays within the fuse box? seems as if "top" row relays are the same as the a/c (snowflake) relay on the "bottom" row. I presume relay failures can not be visually diagnosed? Thanks for your suggestions.
(Thank you hwmonkey for original post.)
You can do it that way. The a/c compressor is at the bottom right side of the engine when looking from the passenger side. If the clutch is working, you should be able to see it spin.

If the car is just in Acc II, have someone turn the A/C on and off while you listen for the click.

I've been doing some more reading and it seems that the relay is quite a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regardie --

You were right. It was just the relay. Unfortunately, a dealer is not nearby ... but we should survive the week. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, this seems to be the closest topic to the problem I have. My A/C stopped working one day. The blower works fine (so not the resistor). I bought a replacement relay and tried it in all three relay spots for AC under the hood, so it doesn't seem to be the relay. When I engage the A/C the RPMs have a slight rise and you can hear the engine speed up a bit to accommodate the extra power needed. I checked the pressure, it was 90 at rest and when the A/C was engaged it rose slightly to about 95.
Anything that I missed or if someone can point me in the right direction it would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Look up the long thread "05 AC Clutch Trouble-shooting".
It is about 11 pages long.

Likely bad Stator +/- AC Clutch. Easy repair. Again, read that thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, so I encountered a similar problem yesterday. We started driving and turned the a/c on, 10 minutes into our trip the air started getting warm so we continued the rest of the way with the windows down and the non working ac off. I just went out to trouble shoot after reading the comments above and believe it was the relay (can hear the clicking and the rpms dip slightly when the ac is turned on). So to test my theory I swapped relays and I got cold ac! Then I removed the "test" relay and put it back in it's original spot and put the old relay back. Then I turned the car on and the ac still blows cold (I took it for a drive around the block to be sure)!?! Could the relay have come loose? I'm thinking it's probably still wise to buy a replacement just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 odyssey ex-L with nav ... when I turn the a/c it just gives me air, and it works sporadically, when I turn the switch to the lowest setting it blows cold air.
help

is this the right part for the a/c relay fuse 39794-SDA-A03 2070 Relay assy ? does anybody have a diagram where the fuse is located ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 odyssey EX-L had the same issue as the other people that posted (just blowing warm air at all blower speeds). I changed the Relay and that fixed the problem ($16), the part guy at Honda told me this is a common problem with the Odyssey and the Accord V6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts