Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 Odyssey EX-L RES started blowing hot air from the vents when I started it yesterday morning and has continued to do so. I had the oil changed Friday at the dealership and took it out of town over the weekend, driving about 700 miles round-trip. It was blowing very cold air for the entire trip.

Is there anything I can check myself before I take it to the shop? The part that I find odd is that there was never a period where it was blowing warm air, and the fans are all blowing full force, so I don't know if that might point to anything.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Your condenser or the ac line probably gotten hit from that trip.get it checked out at the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I'm still under warranty, but that doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would be covered. I'm trying to get it into an independent this afternoon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
GoHogsAR said:
Thanks for your response. I'm still under warranty, but that doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would be covered. I'm trying to get it into an independent this afternoon.
i think it could be covered under the warrnety. maybe call the dealer and tell them your situation and see what they say or just take the vehicle in and see their reaction to it. at least thats what i would do if my warrenty was still alive. good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop called today and said the clutch coil on my compressor is burned out. They quoted a price for replacement and actually asked if I had a warranty, then suggested I call the dealer. I called the dealer and they were very wishy-washy, saying that if the diagnosis was correct the warranty "may" cover it, even suggesting that I bring in my warranty details with me when I drop it off. Seems like they would know the details of my Honda warranty better than I would. I'm dropping it off with the dealer in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
My 2005 EX l RES clutch failed in the same manner. It's a easy test, they just unplug the wire going to the compressor and turn the switch on, 12 volts there but the clutch was not engageing. We replace the cluctch (stator) without discharging the system. Removing the pully was a PIA had to tap it off slowly. only replace the stator set,,
DON"T TRUST dealer when they say its the whole compressor plus system recharge over $1000.


A local small auto shop should not charge more than $200 to change the stator.

38924-RGL-A01 011 001 STATOR SET 80.32 $57.83 Qty:

from here

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=5DR+EXL&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=A/C+COMPRESSOR


good luck



GoHogsAR said:
The shop called today and said the clutch coil on my compressor is burned out. They quoted a price for replacement and actually asked if I had a warranty, then suggested I call the dealer. I called the dealer and they were very wishy-washy, saying that if the diagnosis was correct the warranty "may" cover it, even suggesting that I bring in my warranty details with me when I drop it off. Seems like they would know the details of my Honda warranty better than I would. I'm dropping it off with the dealer in the morning.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Yes I did it, well we (a friends small independent Hondashop) did it. You unbolt the compressor (don't remove hoses) and tilt it down a little. While holding it firmly against engine, tap the pulley off. I bought a pulley pulling tool but there isn't enough room to use it. It was a slow process but once the pulley was off it was very easy to change the stator.




koolzero said:
From the sounds of your post it's possible to replace the stator with the compressor still on the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
fender4 said:
Yes I did it, well we (a friends small independent Hondashop) did it. You unbolt the compressor (don't remove hoses) and tilt it down a little. While holding it firmly against engine, tap the pulley off. I bought a pulley pulling tool but there isn't enough room to use it. It was a slow process but once the pulley was off it was very easy to change the stator.
When you replaced the stator was it completely out? On my ody I don't know if that's the problem because I am getting AC today, and didn't hear and squeal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
koolzero said:
When you replaced the stator was it completely out? On my ody I don't know if that's the problem because I am getting AC today, and didn't hear and squeal.
No it was intermittent at first,, then it went to clicking on for about a minute. It's a heat thing in the stators windings, after warm up it has high high resistance or even opens. You can check the resistance after you un plug it. I just had the car running and after the compressor wouldn't come on I un plugged the wire and , measured 12 volts on the (car side) wire,, soooo bad stator. see the part drawing for the wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
fender4 said:
No it was intermittent at first,, then it went to clicking on for about a minute. It's a heat thing in the stators windings, after warm up it has high high resistance or even opens. You can check the resistance after you un plug it. I just had the car running and after the compressor wouldn't come on I un plugged the wire and , measured 12 volts on the (car side) wire,, soooo bad stator. see the part drawing for the wire.
How difficult is it put the pulley back on? Are there any issues with not getting it back on straight?

What is your opinion on trying some belt dressing spray? This will only work if it's the belt bad but I might give this a try to help determine if it's the stator or the belt that is causing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
koolzero said:
How difficult is it put the pulley back on? Are there any issues with not getting it back on straight?

What is your opinion on trying some belt dressing spray? This will only work if it's the belt bad but I might give this a try to help determine if it's the stator or the belt that is causing it.
The shaft will make the pully go on straight. Spray anything, if the stator is bad stopping the noise won't fix it.

Call a local small Honda repair shop, ask them if they know how to determine if the stator is bad,, if they don't and tell you only the compressor can be changed, call a different foreign car repair place. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
06 blowing hot air

new to the site - also have ac issues. 2005 ex odyssey 75k, ac stopped working days ago, fairly quick failure-within 3-5 days. had local shop check refrigerant, pressure, blower fans, etc. they say the compressor isn't coming on, everything else looks as it should. i've seen a lot of info on the condenser without protection and prone to leaks - if the system is holding pressure, wouldn't this rule out a leak? Also have seen info regarding interior fans running only in high setting - all my dash lights, fan settings, auto, sync modes running as normal, just no cool air, front or back.
seen posts showing this related to the transistor, but not sure since all settings are working properly.

after seeing this post, would my problem be the same as koolzero's or related to the transistor?


Any comments to help pinpoint problem would be appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Re: 06 blowing hot air

spearhead said:
new to the site - also have ac issues. 2005 ex odyssey 75k, ac stopped working days ago, fairly quick failure-within 3-5 days. had local shop check refrigerant, pressure, blower fans, etc. they say the compressor isn't coming on, everything else looks as it should. i've seen a lot of info on the condenser without protection and prone to leaks - if the system is holding pressure, wouldn't this rule out a leak? Also have seen info regarding interior fans running only in high setting - all my dash lights, fan settings, auto, sync modes running as normal, just no cool air, front or back.
seen posts showing this related to the transistor, but not sure since all settings are working properly.

after seeing this post, would my problem be the same as koolzero's or related to the transistor?


Any comments to help pinpoint problem would be appreciated



Need to check the Stator see post above,, With ac switch is on (car running) and there is 12 v at the stator wire and compressor does not switch on,, the stator is bad...

This is a very easy test and a trustworthy mech will do this.

It's easy to make more money trying to sell a complete compressor.

Or saying the compressor has to be discharged and taken completely off to do this repair. If they have a lift this job can be done from under front end. I know this because I did it,, yes it took help but it can be done. And is a PIA ..
:D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
a/c suddenly running hot

fender4, thanks for the help! I had power going to the compressor. was going to the dealership in the morning, but may go to independant shop first to see if they can do it without removing the compressor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, sorry it took me so long to follow up. I just came across the receipt on my desk and it reminded me to post. According to the ticket, they "Completed electronic circuit test. Found clutch and coil fault. Diag and replace AC compressor clutch and coil. Evac and recharge AC system." It shows that they replaced the stator and clutch.

The extended warranty did indeed pay all but the $50 deductible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
My 2007 Ody just developed bad AC clutch at 37 months and 34K miles, after some negotiation with Honda USA, they split the cost of repair:
I paid 50% of the $600 bill = $300.

Not happy but better than $600.

I have owned many cars, the AC Clutch usually fails after 150K miles, not at 34K miles!

In my case, they had to remove the compressor, so the need to evacuate and then recharge with R134a.

From my reading of some other Honda (not Ody) and other forums, this job by itself (replacing the AC clutch) does not require evacuating R134a but the space is tight in a FWD transverse engine, so they often remove the compressor to make it easier.

Some people simply loosen the compressor mounting bolts and angle it down a bit to replace the AC Clutch, this way they do not have to evacuate R134a.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Honda Odyssey 2005 A/C Blowing Hot Air

Hi

A/C on my Honda Odyssey 2005 Ex is blowing hot air. I have checked all fuses and they are fine. I took it to a mechanic and they told me that Compressor, Evaporator, Dryer and Front Expansion Valve is bad and it will cost $1630 (parts: 645, labor= 985).

What can do myself to ensure that mechanic is really telling the truth and not changing whole compressor etc just to bill me ?


----------
Honda Odyssey 2005 Ex
Out of warranty
125500 Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
do you have a multimeter? I would suggest to check for voltage @ the connector of the compressor. Does the a/c light comes on when pressed with the engine on? Let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Hi

A/C on my Honda Odyssey 2005 Ex is blowing hot air. I have checked all fuses and they are fine. I took it to a mechanic and they told me that Compressor, Evaporator, Dryer and Front Expansion Valve is bad and it will cost $1630 (parts: 645, labor= 985).

What can do myself to ensure that mechanic is really telling the truth and not changing whole compressor etc just to bill me ?
----------
Honda Odyssey 2005 Ex
Out of warranty
125500 Miles
All you need is a new Denso compressor for $250 and some O-rings from the dealer.

All detail is below, I wrote it a few years ago:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/173122-diy-2007-honda-odyssey-ac-compressor-replacement.html

PS: First, make sure you don't have a rock flying and hit the condenser! Common issues in the 3rd gen Ody. Search forum for "gutter guard".
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top