Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to a request from nyvram to assemble a list of noise fixes, this is a collection of things I've done to my van, partly because I HATE buzzes and rattles, and partly because I just can't leave well enough alone.
This post will be made up of bits and pieces of other posts and cut and pasted together. I'll try to keep everything straight, but if some things sound a little out of order, please forgive me.

BODY BUZZES. From what I've heard from engineers who've seen the Ody torn apart it's very well built and solid. But, like others, I've been a bit disappointed with noise levels in it; especially trim rattles, aftershocks and buzzes. They weren't terrible, but they sure weren't up to current technology. In addition I wanted to see if it was possible to improve the audio performance in the van by making the panels a little more solid.

So, to make a long story even longer, I pulled the A-pillar trim, all four door panels, the four sill plates, the window trim on the sliders and hatch and the hatch panel.

Then I added small pieces of foam in the gaps of the trim pieces to tension the trim pieces against their attachment points. I also added some poor man's Dynamat (Ice Shield) to every place I could fit a piece. It's not very elegant, but it works fairly well. Then I put a tiny piece of putty (Poster Tac) between every mounting clip and it's mounting point (the u-shaped groove they slide into) to keep anything from buzzing.

It was a lotta work that most wouldn't want to do, but when you're as anal as I am, you look for things to get in trouble with. LOL!

The end result is that it worked quite well. The van has a much more solid feel now. Not perfect, but it's the most solid van I've ridden in. It just irritates me that Honda doesn't spend the 5 or 10 dollars it would cost to do this. Its a solid vehicle that deserves to SOUND solid.

------------------
ROAD NOISE. I took Jim's advice and sprayed the wheelwells on the Ody and it resulted in a fair improvement in the road noise level. I used two cans of 3M rubberized undercoating from Murray's Auto Parts, $3.99 per can.
I can't think of a way to objectively measure the improvement, but subjectively, it seems to be a lot quieter and more solid feeling. Not quite as much "singing" from concrete surfaces.

------------------
CENTER ROW SEAT RISERS. I found the source of a noise in my van today that's been driving me nuts for a while now. I wonder how many of yours are doing the same thing.
If your middle seats are always occupied or loaded with baby seats, you probably don't have the problem, but I usually drive alone and have occasionally heard a noise on fairly hard bumps that I couldn't find.

I found out today that thumping on the armrest produced the noise. It turned out that where the middle seats latch into the floor brackets, there's a rubber cushion in the floor bracket that's become compressed, allowing a little slack between the latch and the bracket, causing the rattle.

Adding a little piece of stock underneath the rubber to raise it up looked like it would do the trick. I did the first one and it worked fine, so I did it to the other one, too. Then the seat wouldn't latch to the floor, so I removed the piece from the second bezel. It seems that with the thickness of stock I used, one side was enough.

------------------
CENTER TRAY RATTLES. I found out yesterday that a rattle I've been trying to find for weeks is coming from the center tray. I thought I had that thing fixed!!
Well, this time I took it out of the van and pulled it all apart. What I found was a lot of slop between the parts of the pivot points. Disassembling them and greasing them, then bending the sides of the arms together so they fit tighter when put back together, has eliminated more noises than I thought were coming from the tray. So far, so good.

Pictures are posted, you know where.
------------------------------

DOOR CREAKS. Lubing the rubber door seals on all five doors, but especially the sliders, with silicone or Shin-Etsu grease from a Honda dealer probably fixes more body noises more easily than any othe fix I can think of.
----------------------------------

RATTLES IN THE SLIDERS. I don't know how many Odys are troubled by this problem, but the little plastic receivers that position the sliders as they close can be "floated" by loosening the screws just enough so the receivers can move, but stay in place when you let go of them. After loosening them, close the slider. While closed, push the front of the door inward to move the receivers as far inward as possible, open the slider and tighten the receiver.

---------------------------------

DOOR RATTLES or DOORS HARD TO CLOSE. Each of the five doors has rubber bumpers, or stops, which can be turned in or out by hand to adjust the fit of the door. This is a 30 second adjustment that can really help.

---------------------------------------

If I remember any more I'll add them to the list. Many of these fixes are shown with pics that have been added to my album on FotoTime.

PS: I look at this list and it makes the Ody sound like a rattletrap. It isn't. It's just that I'm a nut about noises that don't belong.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics & projects.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
whew!

Dang! Thanks Chuck! I didn't mean to put you to all that work right away. I hope your fingers will forgive me.

Remind me to buy you a beer (or soft drink) next time I'm in Michigan. (Which may be soon as I plan to travel to all 50 states after I get the van.)

You're a wealth of info and I hope to be able to return to the favor at some point!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pleasure.

Seriously, it IS fun, especially for this group. Have you noticed how much activity we have here? We only have about 400 members compared to the much higher numbers in the other forums, but we have a lot more activity and MUCH more expertise. I think this is one great, knowledgable crowd!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
My pleasure. Seriously, it IS fun, especially for this group. Have you noticed that we have more activity here from only about 400 members compared to the other forums. I think this is ONE GREAT crowd!

</font>
I agree! Like over a acuramdx.org they got like 1000+ members and all they talk about is what OEM accessory they could buy. No inovative modding, no new gadgets, NOTHING. BOR-ING!
This place is very unique and I'm glad to be a part of it.

- nemogira

P.S. My fingers are still feeling the effects of my Ody/Sienna comparison.

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks Chuck for sharing all of your tips on reducing those nagging little noises. I'm a newbie and the noise that bothers me the most is the "fuel tank sloshing and thump". I love my Ody except for this stupid noise. I think that Honda should fix this after three years on the market. Any thoughts on how to reduce this noise other than insulation? Kyle.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyleluong:
Thanks Chuck for sharing all of your tips on reducing those nagging little noises. I'm a newbie and the noise that bothers me the most is the "fuel tank sloshing and thump". I love my Ody except for this stupid noise. I think that Honda should fix this after three years on the market. Any thoughts on how to reduce this noise other than insulation? Kyle.</font>
You're not gonna like my answer, but it's funny you should bring that up. I've been meaning to mention this for quite a while now.

The noise from the fuel tank is the one noise in the Odyssey that doesn't bother me at all; I almost never hear it. To me, it's just one of the normal sounds of operation I hear in cars.

I'm not underplaying how much it bothers you (and a lot of others), but it mystifies me why so many people complain about it in the Ody when, as far as I can remember, every car and truck I've ever driven has made the same noise at certain levels of tank fill when combined with certain movements of the vehicle. To my way of thinking, it's just a physical result of carrying a large container of liquid in my car everywhere I go.

Granted, it may be somewhat worse in the Ody because of the tank's location. The tank is, by necessity large and flat, and since it's forward in a large cavern of space, we may hear it a little more often. I'm sure the problem wouldn't be quite as bad if the tank was further to the rear, but the well for the rear seat is where it would be in other vans.

IMHO, I don't think this demonstrates Honda's laziness in not fixing the problem as much as it points out how high our expectations of the Odyssey are.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but given the situation, I think it's what we're stuck with.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 06-13-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
"ROAD NOISE. I took Jim's advice and sprayed the wheelwells on the Ody and it resulted in a fair improvement in the road noise level. I used two cans of 3M rubberized undercoating from Murray's Auto Parts, $3.99 per can."

Were did you apply this product?

·
Registered
255 Posts
The noise from the fuel tank is the one noise in the Odyssey that doesn't bother me at all; I almost never hear it. To me, it's just one of the normal sounds of operation I hear in cars.</font>
I agree with Chuck - I've heard fuel sloshing around at one time or another in every vehicle I've owned. (That was my "fuel gauge" in my '62 Chevy Bel-Aire!). With almost 1,000 miles on our '01 Odyssey, I can honestly say I've never heard the fuel sloshing sound in it. My wife drives it more than I do; I've even told her to listen for it - she's never heard it either. Perhaps the engineering gurus at the Honda plant finally figured out how to solve this problem late in the '01 model year run? Or possibly it's just one of those sounds that don't register with me.

And I agree with the comments about this being the best forum - I've seen many, and there is more quantity and quality of participation and input on this one than most! When and where are we going to have the First Annual Honda-Odyssey.com Show and Shine for our forum members and wannabes?? I would love to walk around and look at everyones' Odyssey while holding a cold beer in one hand and a bottle of Z-2 in the other. (Hmmmm...perhaps I should call it a "Sip and Sniff"?)

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; splash guards; cargo tray; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hggody:
"ROAD NOISE. I took Jim's advice and sprayed the wheelwells on the Ody and it resulted in a fair improvement in the road noise level. I used two cans of 3M rubberized undercoating from Murray's Auto Parts, $3.99 per can."

Were did you apply this product?
</font>
Just spray liberally in the wheelwells, especially the front ones because the plastic liner amplifies road noise.

Groupset wrote: "And I agree with the comments about this being the best forum - I've seen many, and there is more quantity and quality of participation and input on this one than most! When and where are we going to have the First Annual Honda-Odyssey.com Show and Shine for our forum members and wannabes?? I would love to walk around and look at everyones' Odyssey while holding a cold beer in one hand and a bottle of Z-2 in the other. (Hmmmm...perhaps I should call it a "Sip and Sniff"?)

------------------
Wouldn't that be fun?

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just spray liberally in the wheelwells, especially the front ones because the plastic liner amplifies road noise.

</font>
Chuck, did you remove the wheel or have to mask/cover it, or any suspension components, or the fender's paint finish where it meets the wheel well to avoid overspray? Never having used underspray, I'm picturing a can of spray paint and how I'd be terrified of spraying anywhere near the finish paint knowing the cloud of overspray it creates.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sdp:
Chuck, did you remove the wheel or have to mask/cover it, or any suspension components, or the fender's paint finish where it meets the wheel well to avoid overspray? Never having used underspray, I'm picturing a can of spray paint and how I'd be terrified of spraying anywhere near the finish paint knowing the cloud of overspray it creates.</font>
Yes, I took the wheels off,draped the suspension and put a dropcloth on the garage floor.

The droplets are fairly heavy so there was very little overspray, but mineral spirits or kerosene will remove it.

Good luck and have fun.

------------------
Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts