Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are several threads here, across many models, discussing the transport of 4'x8' plywood (or drywall, etc.) in their Odys.

I haven't yet found a thread that addresses how (if possible) to do it this way: WITHOUT removing the 2nd row. That always seems to be a built-in assumption, based on my reading so far.

I have a 2011. No roof rack. I use it to transport children (occasionally many), groceries, baseball bags, soil, etc.

Also, I always know when my luggage will be too heavy when packing for a flight because if I can't lift it (without incredible strain), then it's over 50 pounds. And I have no known local help.

So, I can't imagine a scenario where I remove those 2nd row seats. And I have nowhere to put them if I could get them out, anyway (townhouse, public street parking, you get the picture).

I need exactly 1 sheet of plywood for a project. But Home Depot won't deliver it to my home without a $79 fee (I'd totally go that way for a more nominal fee).

In my mind, I'll lay the plywood on top of the 2nd row seats (folded down, of course). But my tape measurements say that I'm going to hit from front seats and not be able to close the tailgate. Also, I can remove the 2nd row center seat, and I think I can remove the 1st row center console, but I don't think that gives me enough leaning room to fit it vertically.

So, that's the challenge. Can this be done? If so, how?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
There are several threads here, across many models, discussing the transport of 4'x8' plywood (or drywall, etc.) in their Odys.

I haven't yet found a thread that addresses how (if possible) to do it this way: WITHOUT removing the 2nd row. That always seems to be a built-in assumption, based on my reading so far.

I have a 2011. No roof rack. I use it to transport children (occasionally many), groceries, baseball bags, soil, etc.

Also, I always know when my luggage will be too heavy when packing for a flight because if I can't lift it (without incredible strain), then it's over 50 pounds. And I have no known local help.

So, I can't imagine a scenario where I remove those 2nd row seats. And I have nowhere to put them if I could get them out, anyway (townhouse, public street parking, you get the picture).

I need exactly 1 sheet of plywood for a project. But Home Depot won't deliver it to my home without a $79 fee (I'd totally go that way for a more nominal fee).

In my mind, I'll lay the plywood on top of the 2nd row seats (folded down, of course). But my tape measurements say that I'm going to hit from front seats and not be able to close the tailgate. Also, I can remove the 2nd row center seat, and I think I can remove the 1st row center console, but I don't think that gives me enough leaning room to fit it vertically.

So, that's the challenge. Can this be done? If so, how?
"The Home Depot offers van rentals to accommodate any project. Each van can be rented starting at $19 and can carry up to 3,000 lbs. The Home Depot offers unlimited mileage for all moving vehicles."

I believe that it's $19 for the first 75 minutes. I don't know what happens after that.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What @John U said.^^^^^^^

But how are you, alone, going to move a bulky 4x8 sheet of plywood into your townhouse? Half inch weighs 40+ lbs, 3/4 will be 60+ lbs.

Where applicable, I have brought my cordless saw and cut plywood into the sizes actually needed.

Reactions: TonyJaw

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Bungee cord the tailgate down on whatever hangs out the back. I’ve hauled 16 ft lengths of Trex.
The plywood will ride up on the sides of the tailgate opening about 6". Below that, the opening is less than 48". If the OP cares about his vehicle, he should bring some padding along to protect the plastic trim.

He'll also need to tie the sheet securely, since I believe that if it sits on top of the folded 2nd row, it will be slanted towards the rear, wanting to slide out.

I've done the bungee thing for 16' boards. I've even laid down in the back and held the hatch closed while SWMBO drove, but both of those situations were very short distance. I got a great deal on some really long Douglas Fir boards for a project, but it was a 50 mile drive. I borrowed a friend's trailer for that trip. Those boards became the bed rails for my daughter's bed.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Drywall or plywood handle, $10 at Lowes or Depot.
But it still weighs as much or more than the seats you seem to say you can't handle.

Reactions: mikmcd

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Unless your daughter's a WNBA player, those boards could have been rough cut to a size that would have fit within your Ody.
At the time, the cut list for those boards, as well as all the other wood that was inside the vehicle, was not complete. All I knew was that the amount of wood that was available was going to be very close to what I was going to need with not a lot of waste. When things are that close, and you need to decide what parts of which boards will be visible vs. hidden, "rough cutting" just to get them in the van could mean the downfall of the project. Cut lists take planning.

I use this site for many of my projects.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
All I knew was that the amount of wood that was available was going to be very close to what I was going to need with not a lot of waste.
Got it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Or just take the 2nd row seats out, if you can carry a 4x8 plywood sheet, you can carry a seat. Unhook them, carry them into your house, set them down on the floor with a towel underneath to protect the floor.

I have taken them out a number of times, they fold flat, you unhook them, and lift up and carry up driveway into the garage. A lot easier than a 4x8 sheet.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Or just take the 2nd row seats out, if you can carry a 4x8 plywood sheet, you can carry a seat. Unhook them, carry them into your house, set them down on the floor with a towel underneath to protect the floor.

I have taken them out a number of times, they fold flat, you unhook them, and lift up and carry up driveway into the garage. A lot easier than a 4x8 sheet.
It's almost like you didn't even read the OP's post...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I read it just fine. If they can handle moving a full sheet of plywood, they can handle removing the seats. Or maybe another way to put it, if they cant handle removing the seats, maybe they arent going to be able to handle the plywood when getting home.

If you dont like my response to the OP just move on. You arent adding anything to the discussion by complaining about my response to their post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DerbyDad03 is absolutely correct to point this out. The "challenge" as presented was: how, if possible, to fit a sheet into a 2011 Ody with the 2nd row still installed. We already have thread(s) here covering whether it's possible with the 2nd row absent. It was not, "how can one fundamentally change the challenge -- using some kind of internal logic that lacks a complete picture -- and then resolve it."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For those who did not wander off on an out-of-scope tangent regarding how much I can lift, I thank you for your quick responses today. They caused me to think about this in a different way.

The answer to the challenge appears to be: there is no reasonable way to accomplish it. So, it wasn't that I was just missing a van-related idea, within the given parameters, to make it work.

Taking the ideas about cutting before transporting, I called my Home Depot and they have saws available on-site where I (or an associate) can cut it down to essentially the quarters I need. So, my project can be accomplished in a timely manner without further expense. Thank you.

-----

That said, I probably shouldn't even address the out-of-scope weight/lifting discussion -- which was only initially offered in an attempt to explicitly avoid a "Why can't you just remove the 2nd row?" side-discussion that surely would have arisen in the absence of any explanation -- but I currently lack the will to stop myself from responding, so... briefly...
  • I didn't specify my target plywood thickness because it was not relevant to the "challenge."
  • Someone here stated that half-inch ply is 40+lbs. I regard that as "under-50."
  • Some quick looking seems to indicate that Odyssey seats are 65-70 lbs. That's obviously well over 50.
  • When I stated I had no known local help, I was thinking about seat removal. I do, in fact, have a spouse. However, I cannot imagine her doing what's necessary to help me remove and carry an Ody chair.
  • On the other hand, plywood being long and practically 2-dimensional, I could imagine my spouse accepting one end of it -- while standing fully upright -- and helping me walk it to the backyard, where I can cut it with my corded saw.
But in the end, the weight discussion is rendered moot by the concluding solution above.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
not sure what the application for the plywood is for, but home depot will cut whatever wood you buy to size, for free.

I have used this service countless times, and rarely need to move an entire 4x8 sheet, unless I need a full sheet for the job.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Actually, the "bungee the tailgate" is quite a reasonable idea. I've done it numerous times because it's quicker than pulling the seats.

But I find it really interesting that you appear unhappy with those who went outside the box you had constructed in framing the "challenge", yet are now happy to employ a solution that came from that outside the box thinking/responding. But seem to treat it like you came up with the idea, because you made a call to confirm it's true.

I think I understand why there's no friendly neighbor to lend a hand with pulling the seats.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I read it just fine. If they can handle moving a full sheet of plywood, they can handle removing the seats. Or maybe another way to put it, if they cant handle removing the seats, maybe they arent going to be able to handle the plywood when getting home.

If you dont like my response to the OP just move on. You arent adding anything to the discussion by complaining about my response to their post.
The OP said: "And I have nowhere to put them if I could get them out, anyway (townhouse, public street parking, you get the picture).

You said: "you unhook them, and lift up and carry up driveway into the garage "

The implications of the OP words is that he has no driveway, he has no garage. My comment wasn't about his ability to remove the seats, it was about the storage of them once they are removed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The implications of the OP words is that he has no driveway, he has no garage. My comment wasn't about his ability to remove the seats, it was about the storage of them once they are removed.
If they have a place to break down a 4x8 sheet, they have a place to store the stupid seats for 2 hours while they go pickup the plywood. I pointed out that they can set them on any interior floor if they put down a towel to protect the floor.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts