Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have seen so far; not many options at all!

Since I have a parts van with std hvac and no factory nav, I can swap wiring and parts but I am not sure if I want to do that.

There is also the single DIN radio with the pop up screen that might work. I noticed the wiring connections for the radio with the fac nav is different than the standard radio. I was going to use my std radio adapter connector on my parts van when I swapped it over to a double din unit but I do not think that adapter will work on the radio with the fac nav 馃あ馃ぎ.

Any suggestions or top tips?

Registered
Why yes I do and it's quite rubbish, IMHO! Any options?
update the maps as recent as possible, and replace the head unit with a decent single DIN with USB and Bluetooth.

Other option is ditch the NAV, replace it with a double din android with NAV GPS Bluetooth backup camera etc, and take the small pocket out of a donor vehicle and put it in the stereo opening.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
update the maps as recent as possible, and replace the head unit with a decent single DIN with USB and Bluetooth.

Other option is ditch the NAV, replace it with a double din android with NAV GPS Bluetooth backup camera etc, and take the small pocket out of a donor vehicle and put it in the stereo opening.
I would to ditch the nav unit but what of the wiring?

Registered
I would to ditch the nav unit but what of the wiring?
metra should sell everything you need...

all you need to do is find the android stereo that suits you, and a pocket to fit where the stock radio is.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Is it easier to do take the heads off and repair the damage or dealing with the work on the other van? Or repair both?
IMHO; dealing with a running van with a stock radio issue is a hell of a lot easier than pulling heads off! Also; I (hopefully) have learned from my mistake although still do not know or understand how one of the tensioner bolts fell out or was never put on... but I digress. I guarantee you though that I will know better when I do the next timing belt job on the the 03 (NAV) van... which is due around now 馃槉

Registered
'03 Honda Odyssey LX '03 Acura CL Type S
I have that same navigation system in my Acura CL. I didn't know they were available in early 2000s Hondas. It is outdated, but I like having the maps (my DVD is from 2013) in front of me without having to plug my phone in or use data (it is especially handy when driving in the city). As you have already discovered, do not swap that system since you would lose the HVAC controls. However, it isn't a bad unit for being from 2003!

I upgraded the head unit of my CL a couple of years ago and maintained the original navi system. I've grown used to it and like having the two screens. I'll post a picture of how it looks on my Acura when I get a chance.

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I have that same navigation system in my Acura CL. I didn't know they were available in early 2000s Hondas. It is outdated, but I like having the maps (my DVD is from 2013) in front of me without having to plug my phone in or use data (it is especially handy when driving in the city). As you have already discovered, do not swap that system since you would lose the HVAC controls. However, it isn't a bad unit for being from 2003!

I upgraded the head unit of my CL a couple of years ago and maintained the original navi system. I've grown used to it and like having the two screens. I'll post a picture of how it looks on my Acura when I get a chance.

Cheers
I look forward to the pix. I think I will just replace the single din stock radio with a single din with a flip out screen or Pioneer has a unit with a built-in smartphone cradle so you can use your own smart phone screen plus Pioneer's special app as a headunit.

Registered
I look forward to the pix. I think I will just replace the single din stock radio with a single din with a flip out screen or Pioneer has a unit with a built-in smartphone cradle so you can use your own smart phone screen plus Pioneer's special app as a headunit.
seems like the best course of action... unless someone figured out a hack for the HVAC controls.
guessing its two separate wire harnesses into the back of the unit.

if one was lucky, it would be the same harness as what is connected to the typical HVAC controls in a non NAV unit.

only a wiring diagram and inspection of the harness would determine that.

Registered
'03 Honda Odyssey LX '03 Acura CL Type S
I look forward to the pix.
Not the best pictures... but here they go! Remember, this a 2003 Acura CL. While they have some buttons between them for the HVAC, you can't control everything (for example, whether you want A/C or just fan, which vents the air comes out of, etc.) unless you use the Navi screen.

I'll take one more during the day showing the entire dashboard.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts