Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
As stated above the system is no longer mechanically connected to a lever inside the cabin which provides driver feedback.
The feedback is to make sure the vehicle is immobile before exiting. Take a few seconds to make sure the vehicle is displaying "P" before opening the door. Engage the parking brake on slopes, and let the roll forward/backward until the vehicle is stopped with the parking brake. You should never leave a vehicle until you are absolutely sure that it is able to hold itself on a slope. The original poster never bothered to take this step.

After driving manual transmission vehicles for 20+ years, it took one roll away for me to make sure that the vehicle is fully engaged in reverse before exiting. I did this by putting it in reverse, then actually using reverse to move the vehicle slightly if I didn't already back up. This ensured that the gear was fully engaged.

·
Registered
198 Posts
THATS THE KEY TAKEAWAY!!!!!!

There is no mechanical linkage in the AUTOMATIC transmission shifter anymore.

For those of us, myself included, that drive a manual transmission; we all have had “roll-away” events in which we had a harrowing experience that taught a valuable lesson.

At this point all automatic transmission users are going to have these “harrowing” experiences. Hopefully none of these experiences end in getting someone cut in half or squished.

There is no need to go through all of the intricate mental checks for the drivers to ensure that the transmission parking pawl actually locked the vehicle in place!! THATS THE POINT OF BUYING AN AUTOMATIC. That process is baked in for convenience sake. However, it never hurts to be an alert adult behind the wheel of any vehicle.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts