1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need some advice.

2004 ODy EXL

At 101,000 driving on the interstate the trans had a catastrophic failure. TCS and CEL came on, cabin filled with the smell of transmission fluid. Pressing on the gas behaved like I was in neutral. I coasted into the breakdown lane.

The car was towed to AAMCO they determined the transmission required replacement.

After driving for about 300 miles with the new transmission the CEL, TCS came on again. Van ran and shifted fine. AAMCO had us bring it in and they read the code and it was 740. They replaced the Torque converter solenoid and lockup solenoid. We got the van back and went about 100 miles and CEL,TCS came on again.

We brought it back in and the code was 740.

Next they replaced the transmission again. We got the van back and we drove about 25 miles and TCS,CEL again. I bought a code reader and it is 740. I called AAMCO and they indicate they think the transmission is fine and the problem is something in the van's electrical system. e.g. not their problem

Any ideas and advice are appreciated.

I've erased the code several times and it keeps coming back with 740 usually within 50 miles of driving.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
664 Posts
They took your money, therefore, its there problem.

The only way it could be an electrical issue is if there was some sort of loose connection on one of I think 4 connections to the transmission.

You could have the electrical side investigated pretty easily to at Honda and if it turns out to be the transmission you can take the diagnostic forms from honda and give it to them and say obviously you missed something, do it again or pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I had my tranny replaced recently, the same thing happened. Brought it back to the shop and was told that the new tranny and torqe converter needed time to seat or break in (I forgot exactly what he said). He cleared the codes and they havent come back since, and I now have 1200 miles on the new tranny.

I recall reading something on this site that says the reprogram the ecm when a new tranny is installed? Mabe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Yes, that's right - on the 2002-2004 5-speed transmission replacements, the PCM was to be replaced as well. Perhaps this is the issue of the recurring code.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From what new dad says, it for the 04-05 models. Mine is an 01, they came on once and havent returned, fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
2000 (and 2001 for that matter) did NOT need a PCM update. You all need to keep going back to the shop that did your tranny and have 'em make it right. The code should NOT keep popping back up if the tranny was rebuilt correctly. Mistake #1 was to take it to AAMCO.

Also, if I am not mistaken, even for the 2002+ the PCM flash/replacement was NOT mandatory. Though Honda likes to swap it out at customer's expense, there have been several folks who did NOT go to Honda and got their trannies rebuilt and or got a Gator/Jasper and didn't have issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the PCM changed when my 2002 Ody transmission died under warrantee. I noticed a significant difference in the behavior of the transmission after the PCM change.

Before the transmission was what I would call shift happy. It would shift gears as soon as you applied your foot even slightly harder on the gas pedal (downshift) and would upshift quickly when you took your foot off the pedal. Basically if you had your foot lightly on the pedal accelerating, it would keep RPM between 1500-2100 through out the gears, accelerate a little harder and the RPM would stay between 2000-2500. Accelerate a little harder and it would keep between 2500-3000, etc... All the while it would shift very frequently and shift whenever you pressed or released the gas pedal. It was very impressive in it's efficiency (keeping RPM low) and ability to give utmost acceleration. Except that the transmission failed with under 40k miles.

After the PCM upgrade it works like a more conventional transmission. When you accelerate mildly it shifts at lower RPM, but basically it shifts into various gears based on your speed. Getting it to downshift takes a significant application of the gas pedal. I find it shifts much more infrequently. Perhaps this contributes to the fact that this transmission has about 100k on it without problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts