Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a neighbor has an 02 which just went out at 125k. He is looking at options to repair as the rest of the van is in beautiful shape. He is looking at an dealership rebuild for $2950 with the 3/36 warranty or an AAMCO for $3100 with a lifetime nationwide warranty. Lifetime warranty covers trans, and torque converter.

AAMCO - Warranties & Extended Service Contracts

He asked me for an opinion but I have never dealt with AAMCO. Anyone here worked with them? Any specific experiences with an Ody or the lifetime warranty would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
There's another thread with problems and a couple folks post to it and they all got their trannies done at AAMCO. If this was me, I would still go with Jasper or Gator with the 3 year warranties v/s AAMCO's lifetime. AAMCO will just replace parts like Honda does. Jasper and Gator both modify the passages. Take your pick. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got the Jasper transmission and while the biggest selling point was the 3yr 100k mile warranty, I don't know how Jasper modified the ody transmission to fixsome design weaknesses from the stock version beyond the addition of an external stack cooler. Do you know what other mods they do?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I got the Jasper transmission and while the biggest selling point was the 3yr 100k mile warranty, I don't know how Jasper modified the ody transmission to fixsome design weaknesses from the stock version beyond the addition of an external stack cooler. Do you know what other mods they do?
I remember reading somewhere that they modify the internal passages for better ATF flow to prevent clutch wear due to overheating.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you just bought the vehicle and is still under warranty but the dealership mechanics cannot duplicate the problem and are not willing to work on it go ahead and bring it to AAMCO. The warranty company has to pay them the cost of the repair, then pay the extra $1000 for the lifetime warranty. Depending on the location and owner of the AAMCO is what quality work you will get.

I have claimed my warranty 2+ times since purchase in 2007 with 80k miles and pretty much used my money's worth for the lifetime warranty. The only thing you have to do to maintaine the lifetime waranty is the yearly AAMCO visit for free. Yes, not all the AAMCO's are worth going to and I have filed my share of complaints all the way to Corporate level having that particular shop remove the AAMCO brand off their shop along with the BBS report. But I have found some AAMCO shops that are more than willing to fix the tranny and do the research.

This time I think the added Transmission Cooler helped make it last longer. I'm now going on my 3rd claim to repair the same issue at 196k miles this week.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jasper also takes the torque converter apart, makes it flow better and installs a Kevlar lining to resist heat/abrasive damage. I am looking to see if they have a payment plan, It is so much with the trans and labor. I am figuring on having a local certified shop do the work so they stand behind the warranty. If I do the install it may be a different story. I think they are at the top of the Honda Redesign. It reminds me of my Fiat 124 spider days, engine was great , but the trans and the rear differential blew out on most all of them, I was a kid and replaced everything and was happy to sell it feeling a little guilty for the mechanical Flaw. FIAT: Found On Road Dead.
I am with most here Jasper is a better trans, the web gives it good feedback also.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oops! I remember Fiat was, Fit it again Tony. I owned a 77 ford f150 that was a smog dog, you could not see the engine on the 400M Engine. I also owned a ford Taurus with the 3.0 liter, it was prone to blown head gaskets (twice in 1 year) you must replace head bolts, they stretch. I did a heater core on it and it was painful, never again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts