Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer has a 2005 EX-L RES. 114k miles. Looks to be in good shape, and the timing belt was replaced at 102k. Any common problems I should be looking out for? I am supposed to go sign everything thursday.

·
Registered
606 Posts
just got '06

I did a lot of research on my recent purchase of the '06 EXL RES.

Some I found were missing a lot of things, key remotes, floor mats, cargo nets, headphones for kids, the lazy susan in the floor, etc. If you are missing items make sure the price offsets it. You can get similar headphones, those are rarely left in the vehicle, FYI.

Our '06 the DVD sound comes and goes, which is actually a TSB for the wire connecting the DVD to the stereo. I have not fooled with that yet but the kids were complaining on our first big trip.

Brake rotors in front tend to warp, rear shocks tend to leak and need replacing. The rear motor mounts on these is VERY expensive to fix and mine was bad when I got it under warrenty at 54k, but would have been $900 at the stealer. Search on this for info, but if it vibrates the wheel and makes noise pulling away under power you might want to have it looked it before buying.

There has been powersteering issues with the assist coming and going at low speeds, apparently tied to a screen in the reservoir or the design, the new ones have a white dot on the lid.

People have also seemed to have issues with the door rollers wearing out in short order like 40k or so.

Good that you had the service done on the belt already.

That's about it for me. Also you might want to screen off the lower condenser / radiator as people have had rocks bust the condenser which is $$$.

I like the handling of the vehicle and the way it gets reasonable fuel mileage (I'm getting 24-25 highway), but there are issues - more than I expected even with the research I did.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dirk daddy did a slamin job on every issue you may have or will run into. I, like you bought an 05 EX L RES NAV about 1.5 years ago with 110K on the clock and final bill was $17K. It was a fair buy at the time.
The DVD player would jam the disk in coming out (very common). I sent the DVD out for a new drive and have yet to put it in.
BE SURE you have the 2 security codes in case the battery is disconected cause you need to enter them before the van will run again.
The voice command Nav is laughable.
The rear engine mount did not have the 1/4" of bumper to mount space as suggested in the TSB, so I replaced it. That made little difference in the transmission "jutter" that has been extensively talked about here. I just put the second Amsiol ATF change in the van yesterday to see if that helps and I still cant say one way or the other if that is helping that issue. Its not a real big deal but it is a pain taping in the overdrive kick down button every time the jutter happens (sometines I forget to take it off). Im not about to have the torque converter changed because of this jutter thing.
The front 12v sockets absolutely suck! Im changing them out today for after market units.
The gas milage is not close to the 20/28 EPA sticker rateing. hiway is 23 at 65-75 and local is 19-20 mpg. The joke alcohol gas may have something to do with the pre alcohol rateing?
Iv replaces the door plasic rollers on one side with home made metal bearings and that worked out great.
Overall, we like the van although I wish it were a little lighter and a bit less power for better mileage numbers.
We had 2 Caravans in the past and this one has a few more possitives over the caravans in the way of ride, sound and amenities. Not bad for the price and 100k on a cared for Jap vehicle poses no fear in long road trips for me.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts