Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 Grand Voyager is getting close to 5 years old and 100K (about when we tend buy a new one). It's been a good vehicle--very few problems, but I think we're leaning toward the Odyssey this time. We tow a boat (about 3000#) and with the Chrysler to get the 3.8 engine you really have to lard the thing up with gizmos & gadgets, whereas with the Honda, you get the 3.5 / 240hp engine on the LX.

One question, though -- how do you equip an Odyssey to tow a trailer that size. With our last van, we ordered Chrysler's towing package which includes:

"160-amp alternator, 600-amp maintenance free battery, engine oil cooler, heavy duty transmission oil cooler, heavy duty engine cooling, load leveling and height control, heavy duty radiator, full-size spare tire and trailer tow wiring harness."

But the Odyssey doesn't seem to have a trailer towing package (you just add a hitch). My question: what about the resto of this stuff--does all this stuff come standard on the Odyssey? Or is it all added as dealer options? Or don't you need it? Or what? TIA

Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
Too tow that much Honda requires you to install the transmission cooler, HD power steering cooler and a load equalizing hitch.

The coolers are dealer installed options.

I assume that your trailer has its own brakes.

------------------
Edmonton, Alberta
2001 Fern LX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea what the coolers cost to have installed? What about load-levelling suspension -- available for the Odyssey?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been doing a bit more hunting around for opinions on Odyssey towing. Starting to have some doubts, for example:

http://forums.vmag.com/mvodyssey1199/messages/112.html

Obviously, of course, you can find somebody who's not happy with any given vehicle. The changes to the 2002 with the extra power and 5-speed transmission should help with the torque/power issues, but what about the weak rear suspension? Is that a concern for towing?

Here's how we're using our '97 Grand Voyager now:

http://people.mw.mediaone.net/mlweaver/NorthChannel2000/ReadyToLaunch.jpg

(3000#, 26' sailboat, 100# dingy)

Anyone doing this kind of towing with an Odyssey? If so, what's your impression?

Mark

·
Registered
564 Posts
The rear suspension is definitely a concern with towing a large load. I would consider the Airlift to be a requirement. I'm not sure what the author of the thread you pointed to meant about voiding the warranty when installing rear air suspension.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub Mark! You came to the right place to do your research.
The Ody (especially the '02) should have no problem towing 3,500 lbs. I wouldn't say the rear suspension is "weak", just needs a set of airbags to level it out when loaded down. Do a search, several have done this mod I believe.
Here is a link to a "towing package"
http://handa-accessories.com/odyext02.html
that I know people have used. You want to be sure to use Honda approved stuff I think to avoid warranty problems if something breaks. I plan on towing a boat with mine in the future, I would expect if anything the manufacturers are a little bit conservative in their tow ratings. Besides, as long as you are towing within rated limits, any problems would be covered by the warranty. Good luck with your decision!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts