Honda Odyssey Forum banner

ABS-TCS-Brake Lights On

23K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  warrenh 
#1 ·
While on vacation, I had a brief period when the TCS, ABS and Brake lights were all on. This lasted about 15 minutes until ABS and Brake were off but TCS was still on. This lasted for about another 20 minutes. Since then, everything seems to be fine. I didn't seem to have any brake issues while the lights were on.

I know the owners manual said I should have it looked at by a dealer but haven't gotten around to making an appointment.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

#2 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by warrenh:
While on vacation, I had a brief period when the TCS, ABS and Brake lights were all on. This lasted about 15 minutes until ABS and Brake were off but TCS was still on. This lasted for about another 20 minutes. Since then, everything seems to be fine. I didn't seem to have any brake issues while the lights were on.

I know the owners manual said I should have it looked at by a dealer but haven't gotten around to making an appointment.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

</font>
Hi Warren,

Should you be concerned, maybe. If this was a "one time only" thing, it's probably OK. If it's an intermittent electrical problem, you won't have any trouble with the brakes themselves, other than the TCS and ABS systems probably won't be functioning when the lights are on so you need to keep that in mind. I would bring it to the attention of the dealer and let them check out the system. The computer that controls the engine and brake functions will record any fault codes generated by a temporary electrical problem, I'm assuming that's what it's going to be. It's entirely possible that the dealer can retreive those codes and repair the problem even if you haven't had any further occurances. You need to do this fairly quickly as any fault codes stored by the computer will be erased after a predetermined time frame has passed with no further faults occuring.

Good luck & Be Safe,
Steve

#3 ·
Just thought I would post an update for any additional comments.

I finally took the van in to have the problem looked at. With the problem appearing to be heat related, more on this later, it made it hard to diagnose the problem. As expected, the problem didn't arise until near the end of the day with the van being parked outside for while. They were able to get some diagnostic codes out. End of day 1.

First thing in the morning, they changed was the TCS/ABS control module. Of course, they can verify if the problem was fixed. Around 4:00 pm, I received the call saying the problem was back. In discussion with Honda's Tech Line, they decided to change out the Engine Control Module. End of day 2.

The ECM arrives late in day. Didn't finish install and testing. End of day 3.

Finished ECM install and wait for the car to heat up. Problem's still there. They're running of out ideas. It's Friday and end of day 4.

It's Monday and Tech Line suggests they replace the left side engine compartment wiring harness. Apparently they are detecting an open in the circuit somewhere. Order harness. End of day 5

Harness arrives and they being in install. Apparently they are unable in finish the harness install. End of day 6.

They finish the harness install. Everything seems to be fine. Wait for the afternoon. No problems. I pick up the car and think we're done. End of day 7.

Ready to drop the kid off at daycare; start the engine and guess what I see? ABS-TCS-Brake lights. The lights were on until getting the kids to daycare. After leaving daycare, lights of off?!?!? On the way to work the lights are intermittent then stay on. In the afternoon after making arrangements to drop the car off again, the lights are off when leaving work. Decide to drop the car seats and stuff off at home before heading back to the dealer. In the 10 minutes to unload the car, the lights are back on again on the way to the dealer. End of day 8.

So now, it's not necessarily heat related. This is where I need the FORUM's help. Any ideas that the Honda techs might be missing? Apparently Honda has not seen this before.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

[This message has been edited by warrenh (edited 08-02-2001).]

#5 ·
Oh, maybe I can help :)
July 2001, Ody 01LX

"Customer states the TCS light will come on and stay on after having driven and shut the vehicle off for about ten minutes. Brake lights and ABS light has also come on"
---
"Defective TCS unit"
---
"Replaced TCS unit"
---
"Parts QTy:1 FP Number: 39770-S0X-A02"

Take care ...

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odydriver:
Oh, maybe I can help :)
July 2001, Ody 01LX

"Customer states the TCS light will come on and stay on after having driven and shut the vehicle off for about ten minutes. Brake lights and ABS light has also come on"
---
"Defective TCS unit"
---

"Replaced TCS unit"
---
"Parts QTy:1 FP Number: 39770-S0X-A02"

Take care ...
</font>
Odydriver, thanks for your input!! Unfortunately, that was the first unit they tried replacing. The latest word today is they think it is the fuse panel since the TCS /ABS unit seems to be losing power.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.