Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

It's my 1st time writing but I've been researching using this forum the last couple of days and it's been very useful. My husband and I have just fitted a 2nd-hand ABS unit onto our '95 Odyssey as the pump on the old one was broken. We bled the ABS unit and eventually got it to the point where the pump turned itself off after a few seconds and the ABS light stayed off which is good! When we moved the car though, the brakes where completely spongy. Why is that? I thought the ABS system was separate from the main brake system? Any insights from anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
The ABS is not separate from the regular brake system, sounds like you still have air in the lines, though the assemble may be air free the lines running to the calipers porb have air in them.
Your next step would be to bleed each caliper individually making sure not to let the master cylinder run out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
652 Posts
They are functionally separate but are not mechanically separate. When the ABS unit was changed, fluid leaked out from the line that runs between the master cylinder and the ABS unit which would add air in your lines.

Nice job on your ABS unit. I also changed mine a while back with a known good one without anymore ABS lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I did get the wrong end of the stick thinking the ABS was totally separate after reading info about it but logically of course that can't be true.

I am happy to say that we bled the brakes last night so they are now working well and the ABS light is still off - Yahoo!

We can now finally go get the Warrant of Fitness done on the car so it's road-legal again - Let's hope they don't find anything else wrong...

It was a big job to take on but it all turned out well aside from hubby and I constantly dropping screws, spanners and reservoir caps down into the depths of the engine! All I can say is thank goodness for magnets, however there is one plastic reservoir cap still down there. Luckily the cap off the old ABS unit fitted!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts