Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are tons of thread on this issue, I must have read at least 85% of them, but I still need some help here: 04 EX-L - 150k

Front AC Blower stopped working a 2 days ago in 95 degree heat. I let it sit overnight, turned it on in the AM and began working. 4 miles down the the road while playing with the AC dial, it ceased to work again. Took it to the shop, mechanic says it's the Blower Fan that needs to be replaced. Ordered the part, but before I could replace it blower begins to work again. Worked all the way home from work and worked this AM. Stopped at the Post Office this afternoon to send a mail, got back into the car and it did not work. I slowly turned the fan dial from low to high and it began to work. Turned it back to low and still work, and been working since then on low and high. How do I troubleshoot this. Is it a Transistor Assembly or Blower problem. The other thing I noticed is that the "Auto" sign does not go off even when it clearly is not on Auto but manual mode. The rear work great.

My plan is to remove the Transistor Assembly and test it. If it is still good what next? How do I test the Blower unit if it is failing? Or could it be something else? Any direction or help will be appreciated

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Sounds like the blower motor is dying, the windings get tight and burn out. Will work sometimes, and then stop. Hit it and works again.
Replace the transistor at the same time. The excess current draw of the motor burns out the fusible link in the transistor. It will likely fail the longer you wait.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Put a voltmeter on the blower when it fails. If there is voltage and it fails the blower is bad. If I went to the trouble of removing the transistor I would just replace it. Testing it requires some knowledge of electronics and how it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put a voltmeter on the blower when it fails. If there is voltage and it fails the blower is bad. If I went to the trouble of removing the transistor I would just replace it. Testing it requires some knowledge of electronics and how it works.
Where on the blower will I but a voltmeter? Remove the plug and put the voltmeter tips on the terminals of the blower?

I did remove the transistor, tested the thermal cutoff device in the transistor assy, there was continuity between both ends, does that mean it's still good or bad? Should I still replace it?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts