Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 EXL and I have an issue with my AC. It's not blowing cold - cool but not cold. That's an issue with 100+ degrees FL days.

When I checked the fans, I noticed the passenger side fan wasn't running. The driver's side fan was spinning pretty fast. I reached in with a long screwdriver and tapped the fan motor lightly and it started running. Then the AC blows cold and it's perfect. If I turn the car off, it likely will not come on again without a gentle tap. So the fan is bad and it must be swapped.

But here's the catch - with 1 fan running, the compressor seems to simply stop. I was stopped for about 30 minutes in 100+ degrees heat. I am guessing only the driver's side fan was running at the time. Then the AC stopped blowing cold air. It was blowing warm air. The AC turned off on its own. I then heard a loud grinding noise from the passenger side and saw smoke. I can only assume the compressor seized somehow and the belt was spinning over it causing smoke. I turned off the AC to prevent damage and drove home without AC. The fuses and relays etc. are all fine. When I got home, I looked and everything seemed OK with the exception of the fan.

You may wonder how I knew to check the fan. Well, the same thing happened to me in early May this year, noise, smoke and all. But back then it was the driver side fan. It was replaced by the dealer as I have an extended warranty. At the time, I asked them to replace both but they said the warranty does not cover it unless it's broken. Sucks as now I have to take it in for basically the exact same repair.

My question though is around the noise and smoke. Has anyone heard of this before? It seems like the system shut down completely to protect itself. But the grinding noise and smoke are very odd.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
If the fan or fans are not running the pressure in the condenser (the high side of the system) will go extremely high, especially on very hot days. The high side pressure switch will kick the compressor off at something like 455psi. There is also a pressure relief valve on the bottom of the compressor. It will vent refrigerant when the pressure gets too high. Look at the relief valve and see if there are any signs of refrigerant and refrigerant oil around that relief valve.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,130 Posts
Stopped electric motors use much more current/wattage than a moving electric motor. A great way to burn up a (brushed) electric motor is to keep it from turning...

As John mentioned, there is a safety overpressure switch on the AC system that should shut it off if pressures get to high, which they will in the conditions you are describing.

-Charlie

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the info. All makes sense. As an FYI, the dealer replaced the fan under warranty but i have to check to see if they did an evac and recharge of the system. The did do this when the driver side went out. Sounds like it needed to be done again due to the pressure being released.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I took it back into the dealership the tech actually witnessed the compressor purge. This was after the fan have been replaced. So the end result was they replaced the compressor and did an evac and recharge all under warranty. AC seems to be working fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 Odyssey has 170,000 miles on it

& This has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 years, but on the driver’s side. They replaced my compressor once. I can’t remember what they did the 2nd time. The 3rd time, which was last week, they said my radiator was cracked, so that was 700 dollars. They changed o rings too. And at some point they installed a new AC motor blower, and i swear my AC blows quite wimply now. It used to blow my hair back and now it’s pathetic. I’m in south Louisiana, so a good AC is crucial in August ?

Previously i had to have my catalytic converters replaced - twice. And i still don’t pass inspection, and all of the work on my 2011 Odyssey is done at the Honda dealership.

Overall, I’ve been very disappointed with this vehicle. I thought Odysseys were supposed to be reliable. Mine seems to ALWAYS be in the shop and has broken down on me twice. I can’t remember why that was. It was back in May. Maybe it was the condenser?

I’m starting to wonder if the dealership breaks things while they’re fixing other things??

I’ve spent at least 6,000 in repairs over the last 2 years and that doesn’t include regular maintenance like tires, brakes, brake pads, oil change, Freon etc

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2011 Odyssey has 170,000 miles on it

& This has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 years, but on the driver’s side. They replaced my compressor once. I can’t remember what they did the 2nd time. The 3rd time, which was last week, they said my radiator was cracked, so that was 700 dollars. They changed o rings too. And at some point they installed a new AC motor blower, and i swear my AC blows quite wimply now. It used to blow my hair back and now it’s pathetic. I’m in south Louisiana, so a good AC is crucial in August ?

Previously i had to have my catalytic converters replaced - twice. And i still don’t pass inspection, and all of the work on my 2011 Odyssey is done at the Honda dealership.

Overall, I’ve been very disappointed with this vehicle. I thought Odysseys were supposed to be reliable. Mine seems to ALWAYS be in the shop and has broken down on me twice. I can’t remember why that was. It was back in May. Maybe it was the condenser?

I’m starting to wonder if the dealership breaks things while they’re fixing other things??

I’ve spent at least 6,000 in repairs over the last 2 years and that doesn’t include regular maintenance like tires, brakes, brake pads, oil change, Freon etc
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Perhaps try another dealership.
Also, maybe it's time for a trade. You can find good deals on 2013+ now that the next gen came out in 2018.

I emailed my dealer again. Back in March, I did a tranny flush with my regular oil change. It was due at 60k. On my last visit, the tech recommended a tranny flush. And I forgot I did one in March so I said go ahead. This is only 5k later, and these are due every 30k! I hope they make it right. That's $230 for that service that I didn't need.

The tech also recommended wiper blades, and I changed all 3 myself less than 2 weeks ago. He also recommended a cabin filter and air filter, both of which I changed myself not that long ago. In my case, I think the tech was not really checking these things and was out to make money.

Keep records and be careful not to get scammed. In your case, I would email Honda and get a paper trail going on some of you ongoing issues. Also, look in to an extended warranty of you get another van, especially if used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts