Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2000 Ody LX for 12 months and now the AC is starting to give off a moldy, damp smell for at least 20 minutes after I start using it. I notice the odor is stronger if I have fresh air coming in vs recirculating. My Ford Bronco II has the same problem because it's a POS and I've had to clean the condensate drain a couple of times, but it's over 10 years old. Is this what needs to be done to the Ody? Has anyone else had this problem, and how was it fixed?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't taken delivery on my 2002 RRP EX yet but my 97 Accord has the same problem. A friend told me about a product called Frigi Fresh (frigi like refrigerator) or something like that. You pour it down the air intake for the A/C and it is suppoded to deorderize it and kill the mold smell. I have seen a simular product at the full service car wash but they want $24.95 for the service. It looked like the same thing as Frigi Fresh. Just a pint of deorderizer poured down the air intake.

I haven't taken the time to check the local auto parts stores but I'm sure with a little searching I can find something that will do the trick.

If you find something, let us know.

-John

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to have the same problem for my Accord. Dealer at that time told me that it was normal. After repeated complaints, they put in some kind of cleaning chemical in to the A/C system and it was gone. I don't have this problem with my 01 ody.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Some folks have recommended Lysol spray put in through the air intake.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
215 Posts
I recently used a product from Next Dimension, called-of all things- Air Conditioner Treatment. I got it at an Advanced Auto Products store. Costs about 3 bucks for a 6 oz. aerosol can and worked well in my funky smelling 96 pickup.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where are intake vents??

Can any of you tell me where all the intake vents are on a 2002 EX? The manual only mentions the ones below the front edge of the windshield. I've also seen in one of these posts that there are some intake vents somewhere in the rear, and I'm also wondering where the internal intake vent is, for when you're in "recirc" mode. I have a bad case of AC odor, and want to make sure I get the anti-mold spray every place I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It could be the cabin air filter, although Honda recommends replacement at 30,000 mi or 24 months, so you're not quite there yet. I just replaced mine at 40,000 mi. (see instructions on this site) and was amazed at how gross the old one was; I will not go that long again. Good luck

·
Registered
392 Posts
That is always the problems in all the cars I've driven. In Fords, Toyota, Nissan and Honda. The odor is from the AC condensor being turned off. The moisture sitting in the vents while the Ody is in park is causing the odor.

One effective way of preventing this is to turn off your AC about a minute or two before you reach your destination. By letting the fan fun without the AC, it is blowing out any remaining moisture that may be in the vents.

Since doing this my Ody. has never smelled of that odor again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had a similar odor problem with one of my other cars. A dealer recommended a product called Ozium (I think that was the name). You can also try turning on the heater full blast, full heat for about 4-5 minutes to see if that might help. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts