Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some issues with my AC in the 2003. For some reason when you start the van up, the AC in the dash wont blow. None of the settings get it to turn on. I can rotate the dial from auto to make the fan blow high and I can hear it clicking but it wont turn on.
If you hit the dash a couple of times right above the clock, then the fan starts blowing but its hot air. If you turn the car off and back on sometimes it will come back on and blow cold. When its working it blows really cold. One weird thing I noticed. My rear windows wont pop out when the AC dash fan does not come on. But when you bang on it and the fan comes on, then the rear windows go in and out. I dont know if its related, but its very strange.
Any ideas? I thought maybe the Transistor assembly, but its to far away from the dash where I rap on it and the fan turns on. The rear fan always works but if the front dash fans do not turn on it just blows hot air. Once the dash fans come on with cold air then everything seems to work just fine.
Should I replace the Transistor assembly since its fairly cheap just to see if its related?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
What is strange is that the rear window motors have their own individual fuses for each motor and does not affect the A/C system. Doubt it is a fuse problem.

The transistor is relatively cheap to replace and it is a good chance that your original one will eventually fail anyway. I don't want to recommend throwing parts at your problem though. Search on "transistor" and see if you can match some of your symptoms to a failing transistor. It is an easy DIY as I have replaced my resistor on my LX. I just lost the number 1 and 2 speeds on the dial - A/C was always cold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply New Dad,

I was thinking about it doing as you suggested. But now it seems to work just fine. I dont get it! I really think its a loose connection somewhere under the dash, but how it relates to the rear windows beats me.
But I was able to reproduce it many times, so I know it is related somehow.

I was thinking possibly something was draining all power and it is affecting the windows and AC. But nothing else seems to be affected. Like the rear fan blows hard and strong without issue.

Also the front fan does not blow at all when its down. So its not like the typical Transistor symptom. But I have seen weirder things with cars. I might just change the transistor and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Check G401. It supplies ground to the rear window, climate control and many more places. It is under driver dash on the upper left hand side.

It would help if you posted all information on the van as there are differences in electrical on LX and EX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didnt post more information. My van is a 2003 EX. I dont know if that will help, but now my AC seems to blow fine but its not cold as it used to be. I am going to break down and take it into a shop. Maybe they can find the issue. Thanks for the tips, I will also look into that Ground you mentioned.

regards!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts