Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm driving around it works great but when you stop and are idle the AC kicks on and off, more off then on and it gets hot. Freon levels are fine so I was thinking of a it being some sort of switch issue. Any help is appreciated and any links that may fix the issue as well. 2006 ex model

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Mine does the same thing when stopped but doesn't get hot though. You can tell that the air from the vents is just cool but not as cold as when the van is moving. Not sure what to do with it, maybe it just needs air flow through the condenser.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This sounds like it could be slightly different, but may worth checking into. We bought our 2010 new. The rear seemed to be warmer than the front. The air coming out of the vents was just a cool, but it wasn't blowing out of the vents in the back with as much velocity. The strange thing was that the fan sounded like it was running full speed. We brought it to the dealer. At first they said nothing was wrong. Upon further inspection the rear fan motor was wired in reverse. Thus the fan was blowing reverse. They had to change a couple wires, and then we had air flow!!! And the rear of the van cooled down!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am seeking reimbursement from Honda now over this issue... O have an 07 odyssey and had the same issue. On a 117 degree oklahoma day my ac clutch failed. I am a mechanic and my van is out of warranty so I ordered the parts from oreilly and swapped the compressor. I took the van to my buddies shop to recharge ac system and he noted the condenser fans weren't coming on high, causing pressures to build until the ECM detects unsafe pressure and shuts off the compressor. I immediately googled it, and found a gentleman that said there was an update available to turn the condenser fans on high after system reaches 221 psi.. I called and verified with my closest Honda dealership and scheduled the maintenance.. After the update I am pleased to say that my ac blows cold on the hottest of days due to the high speed of the condenser fans... I called the Honda 1800 number to tell them I felt that I was due full reimbursement of my expenses dealing with the ac system, as the vehicles should have never left the assembly line with this issue.. At first the case manager told me I was entitled to nothing, then he offered to pay for the price of the update, then Offered after more debate and my case being reviewed by a board of his peers, he said that he could give me 200 bucks as a gesture of goodwill.. Then he told me that I could t discuss it with anyone to try for reimbursement. The bottom line is, the system pressure being so high, (400 psi or greater) causes the compressor clutch undue stress, leading to premature failure.. This needs to be a recall!!! I have exhausted myself with the customer service center, and they tell me all I can do is wait for a full reimbursement if there is a recall issued later... This to me is unacceptable.. I have left a bad review on the matter on the odyssey Facebook page, as well as filing a complaint with the better business bureau. I hope this is turned into a recall so noone else has to spend the money that I spent!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mine does the same thing when stopped but doesn't get hot though. You can tell that the air from the vents is just cool but not as cold as when the van is moving. Not sure what to do with it, maybe it just needs air flow through the condenser.
Same thing on my 2008 Ody. When car moves slowly or stops, vent blows cool (not cold) air. Increase fan speed seems to help a little.
I don't have the gauges to see if pressure is OK on my van.
My Accord is always ice-cold, whether the car is idle or moving.

Is it normal behavior for Ody ?

Can other posters to chime in to see if there's a trend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Same thing on my 2008 Ody. When car moves slowly or stops, vent blows cool (not cold) air. Increase fan speed seems to help a little.

Can other posters to chime in to see if there's a trend.
Same with our 2005 EX. We have verified with our dealer the A/C freon levels are proper. The driver's side is warmer than the passenger side on hot days at idle, but neither side blows cold air like other vehicles. Once underway, the A/C blows cold air again on both sides.

Disabling Auto mode does not help.
Setting the temp to the lowest number (rather than "Lo") does not help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My compressor clutch on my 2006 touring failed. Cost close to $800 to replace and recharge. Could someone tell me what is involved in the update? AC always had problems cooling at idle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am seeking reimbursement from Honda now over this issue... O have an 07 odyssey and had the same issue. On a 117 degree oklahoma day my ac clutch failed. I am a mechanic and my van is out of warranty so I ordered the parts from oreilly and swapped the compressor. I took the van to my buddies shop to recharge ac system and he noted the condenser fans weren't coming on high, causing pressures to build until the ECM detects unsafe pressure and shuts off the compressor. I immediately googled it, and found a gentleman that said there was an update available to turn the condenser fans on high after system reaches 221 psi.. I called and verified with my closest Honda dealership and scheduled the maintenance.. After the update I am pleased to say that my ac blows cold on the hottest of days due to the high speed of the condenser fans... I called the Honda 1800 number to tell them I felt that I was due full reimbursement of my expenses dealing with the ac system, as the vehicles should have never left the assembly line with this issue.. At first the case manager told me I was entitled to nothing, then he offered to pay for the price of the update, then Offered after more debate and my case being reviewed by a board of his peers, he said that he could give me 200 bucks as a gesture of goodwill.. Then he told me that I could t discuss it with anyone to try for reimbursement. The bottom line is, the system pressure being so high, (400 psi or greater) causes the compressor clutch undue stress, leading to premature failure.. This needs to be a recall!!! I have exhausted myself with the customer service center, and they tell me all I can do is wait for a full reimbursement if there is a recall issued later... This to me is unacceptable.. I have left a bad review on the matter on the odyssey Facebook page, as well as filing a complaint with the better business bureau. I hope this is turned into a recall so noone else has to spend the money that I spent!!!

Hey man, I live in OKC and am having the same problem. Where did you take the van to get the update done? Mine is a 2011, but the problem is the same.

Thanks,
Lumpystrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having same issue but my 2008 does this with both heating and cooling. Works fine when moving (rpm's up) and stops working when sitting still (idle rpm). Also, does not always do this. Fan works fine at all times. Anyone had this issue and had it fixed?

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
I'm having same issue but my 2008 does this with both heating and cooling. Works fine when moving (rpm's up) and stops working when sitting still (idle rpm). Also, does not always do this. Fan works fine at all times. Anyone had this issue and had it fixed?
You're going to have to get more specific. Heating and cooling are entirely different systems. I would troubleshoot them separately.

Let's start with AC. I know you said "fan works fine at all times." However, have you visually looked at BOTH fans when the AC is off AND when the AC is on? The circuit for the fans is complicated and the fans might work in some cases but not others.

Here's how to check the fans: Warm up engine with AC off. Physically turn the AC off so that the compressor does NOT run. Run the engine at 3000 RPM until the fans (there are two) turn on to low speed. That checks the low speed circuit. If one or the other are not running there is a problem. They both should cycle on and off at low speed when the engine reaches operating temperature.

Now turn on the AC. After a moment or two (when the AC system pressure reaches 221psi) the fans should kick on to HIGH speed. Check BOTH fans. If one or the other does NOT kick on to high speed there is a problem. I had a problem on mine where both fans ran on low speed but when high was called for only one fan went to high and the other fan turned off. It fooled me because I could hear the fan turn on to high so I just assumed they were working. They weren't and I had issues with warm AC at idle and stopped.

On the heat side, if it's getting warmer when the car is moving it probably has more to do with RPM's and not airflow over the radiator. When moving you have more air moving over the radiator and the radiator will cool the coolant, not make it warmer. However, the higher engine RPM's associated with the car moving will warm the coolant. If there is a heating issue I'd want to see what the temp gauge does. How many miles on the van and when was the last time the water pump and thermostat were changed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Found this old thread while searching about my 2017. Hot air at idle. Fine when moving. Taking in for first oil change soon. Sounds like they didn't give a rip about doing updates. Not impressed with all the little flaws Honda has let go on a long running platform.

·
Registered
10,874 Posts
Just because an AC system isn't getting cold properly doesn't mean there is something that has not been "updated" for years. Did you do any of the quick checks of the fans that I posted in the post right above yours? VCM is a "flaw." An occasional AC issue is not a flaw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're going to have to get more specific. Heating and cooling are entirely different systems. I would troubleshoot them separately.

Let's start with AC. I know you said "fan works fine at all times." However, have you visually looked at BOTH fans when the AC is off AND when the AC is on? The circuit for the fans is complicated and the fans might work in some cases but not others.

Here's how to check the fans: Warm up engine with AC off. Physically turn the AC off so that the compressor does NOT run. Run the engine at 3000 RPM until the fans (there are two) turn on to low speed. That checks the low speed circuit. If one or the other are not running there is a problem. They both should cycle on and off at low speed when the engine reaches operating temperature.

Now turn on the AC. After a moment or two (when the AC system pressure reaches 221psi) the fans should kick on to HIGH speed. Check BOTH fans. If one or the other does NOT kick on to high speed there is a problem. I had a problem on mine where both fans ran on low speed but when high was called for only one fan went to high and the other fan turned off. It fooled me because I could hear the fan turn on to high so I just assumed they were working. They weren't and I had issues with warm AC at idle and stopped.

On the heat side, if it's getting warmer when the car is moving it probably has more to do with RPM's and not airflow over the radiator. When moving you have more air moving over the radiator and the radiator will cool the coolant, not make it warmer. However, the higher engine RPM's associated with the car moving will warm the coolant. If there is a heating issue I'd want to see what the temp gauge does. How many miles on the van and when was the last time the water pump and thermostat were changed?
Just because an AC system isn't getting cold properly doesn't mean there is something that has not been "updated" for years. Did you do any of the quick checks of the fans that I posted in the post right above yours? VCM is a "flaw." An occasional AC issue is not a flaw.
It is a flaw. I too am having the same problem. I would be willing to bet most of our Odys of the years listed above have the problem. I too had to replace my ac clutch. The issue is there, but goes unnoticed by most drivers who never or rarely get stuck in traffic !

Don't get me wrong, I like the van, It has been mostly reliable and has over 200K , but come on Honda, this should be a RECALL now !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine is now doing this. I hear the high speed but need to check that both are kicking up.
Dealer said pressures were fine and no leaks so faulty operation is happening. My 22 yr. old Sienna blows 35 according to IR gun on recirc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts