Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,273 Posts
Thanks so much, this is all good information! Also helps to know that if I already have the Mitsuba relay to leave it alone. I'll take a look as soon as I can, which may not be for a couple of days, but I want to get that part ordered if I do need it so I can get that in before I get the ac recharged. Just want to make sure I have no problems changing it before I go in, and also it's possible changing the part will fix the problem. Though from what I've read here, I guess it's a good idea to get a recharge anyway, even if I get the AC blowing cold again? It also helps to know what cost to expect so I can price around if need be. Thank you!
Yes, even if the relay solves the problem, still get a recharge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
FYI

If you decide to replace the AC clutch relay - which I highly recommend. These 3 photos show where it is located:
Locate the relay box under the hood on the passenger side near the windshield. Squeeze the 4 latches and lift up to remove the cover.
The AC Clutch relay is the one in the front center. It is black with the word Mitsuba on it in this photo. Yours may not be Mitsuba brand. However, when you buy a new one be sure it is Mitsuba.
To remove the relay you need to wiggle it and pull it straight up. It's a snug fit, so give it a strong pull.
View attachment 161184
View attachment 161185
View attachment 161186
The cover comes off very easily. Just need to depress all 4 latches at the same time and lift up.

There is no plug to remove. With the cover off you just pull the relay out. It should come out with your hand with a firm grip and a firm pull. Wiggle it. If necessary and if you are very careful you can use pliers to pull it out. Since you are replacing the relay it does not matter if you crack the plastic, but normally you should not do this (crack the plastic of the relay). Then push the new relay in. It can only go in one way.

I looked at Rock Auto web site and do not see the Mitsuba brand relay listed there. You might check your local discount auto parts place or other online places (majestic Honda, Bernardi parts.com). Don’t buy it from your local dealer.

The Honda part number for the relay is:

39794-SDA-A05

The Mitsuba part number is:
7001 91 5211

You need to make sure you get the Mitsuba relay.
Even if this does not solve your issue, it is a good thing to do to avoid future issues.

If you find you already have the Mitsuba relay installed, then leave it alone.

A cooling system evacuation and recharge should cost around $150. Walk away if they try to charge you much more than that.

Finally got a chance to check out my relay, I have the one pictured below. So far I've had no luck finding the Mitsuba part number you mentioned using a google search and checking Amazon and AutoZone; I may call the Honda dealer to see if they can sell me one (if they have it).

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,273 Posts
Finally got a chance to check out my relay, I have the one pictured below. So far I've had no luck finding the Mitsuba part number you mentioned using a google search and checking Amazon and AutoZone; I may call the Honda dealer to see if they can sell me one (if they have it).

View attachment 161236
Well, I can tell you that you definitely have the faulty Omron relay. I found the correct Mitsuba relay on Amazon fairly easily: Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 39794-SDA-A05 Power Relay Assembly: Automotive

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

View attachment 161236
A dealer will charge you around $50; you should be able to buy it for $25. It is a very common part and should be easy to find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A dealer will charge you around $50; you should be able to buy it for $25. It is a very common part and should be easy to find.
Thanks, I couldn't find one with the exact part number shown before, but someone has pointed out one that works with a different number.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Mitsuba came from Amazon today, popped it in (as easy as you said!), and it is blowing ice cold! I'm still going to call around and price a recharge; one place told me $170 and another never got back to me. I'll get a few estimates.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The Mitsuba came from Amazon today, popped it in (as easy as you said!), and it is blowing ice cold! I'm still going to call around and price a recharge; one place told me $170 and another never got back to me. I'll get a few estimates.

Glad the new relay resolved your issue. You are lucky the old bad relay did not drain your battery.

You are smart to still pursue having your AC system evacuated and recharged. A good thing to do. $170 is a tad high. Look for $150 or less.

I imagine your husband is quite impressed with your new-found auto mechanic ability!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,273 Posts
Glad the new relay resolved your issue. You are lucky the old bad relay did not drain your battery.
It does make sense though. Since the A/C wasn't working, the relay was sticking open all the time, meaning the clutch circuit remained open. It's only when it sticks closed that you have a battery drain and other problems because the clutch circuit stays closed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

You are smart to still pursue having your AC system evacuated and recharged. A good thing to do. $170 is a tad high. Look for $150 or less.

I imagine your husband is quite impressed with your new-found auto mechanic ability!
He's happy it saved us money, because he sure didn't know how to fix it himself! I then fixed a problem with his computer charging later that day, which I also resolved by searching forums. Thank goodness for online forums like this and people like you who are willing to help!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts