Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 EX-L purchased new nearly 4 years ago.I upgraded from a 2016 EX-L for a variety of reasons; ACC was a big factor.

I have a few issues with ACC. I looked to see if my particular concerns had been discussed before and I didn't see them so I am starting a new thread.

For the record I will say that the 22 mph limitation is annoying, but that has been discussed plenty and I won't belabor the point.

It feels like Honda did not consider hills when they programmed ACC.

Uphill, the vehicle will lose about 15 mph before it figures out it needs to accelerate. Often the eventual acceleration is sluggish at first and then at some random point it puts the hammer down. This behavior is especially annoying at relatively low speeds because it often doesn't react fast enough to avoid dropping below 22 mph and disengaging. I'm sure this behavior is also especially annoying to anyone driving behind me.

Downhill the vehicle will happily coast 20 mph over the set speed. Eventually one needs to hit the brakes, which disengages ACC. The van will slow itself down if it is following another vehicle so why won't it slow down to maintain cruise speed?

Are any fixes, workarounds, or firmware updates that can improve how ACC deals with hills?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
While what you're describing is excessive, every cruise system I've ever used has the same issues, just not as extreme. Biggest problem is that cruise systems are reactionary, not proactive. Having the momentum at the beginning of the hill will keep it from losing speed as drastically by the time it's at the top. To compensate, I tend to use the gas pedal manually (or cruise accel button) ahead of time in anticipation for upcoming hills so I build up the speed/momentum.

As for going down the hill, if it's steep, I'll manually disengage cruise at the top of the hill and let it coast on its' own. If it's still climbing speed too fast, brakes are about the only option to slow it down more. Of course that would disengage the cruise too.

My solutions are not solutions because they are manually done by you, the driver. Kinda goes with the territory of reactionary systems when they really need to be proactive to truly resolve the problem.

Maybe others can share things that may help and don't involve the manual intervention methods I posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate what you're saying. But we're not talking about a vacuum hose powered gizmo tugging on a mechanical throttle link. The vehicle is microprocessor controlled. It knows instantly that is losing speed and could react with more gas immediately. And the ACC can slow the vehicle down because that's what it does when it detects traffic ahead. So it just seems like Honda deliberately chose to make a less-capable ACC and that is frustrating. What makes it even more frustrating is that they could improve ACC via a software update but I suspect that will never happen.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,130 Posts
While what you're describing is excessive, every cruise system I've ever used has the same issues, just not as extreme. Biggest problem is that cruise systems are reactionary, not proactive. Having the momentum at the beginning of the hill will keep it from losing speed as drastically by the time it's at the top. To compensate, I tend to use the gas pedal manually (or cruise accel button) ahead of time in anticipation for upcoming hills so I build up the speed/momentum.
As for going down the hill, if it's steep, I'll manually disengage cruise at the top of the hill and let it coast on its' own. If it's still climbing speed too fast, brakes are about the only option to slow it down more. Of course that would disengage the cruise too.
My solutions are not solutions because they are manually done by you, the driver. Kinda goes with the territory of reactionary systems when they really need to be proactive to truly resolve the problem.
Maybe others can share things that may help and don't involve the manual intervention methods I posted.
I can't add much to that, other than to say, my 2002 Ody had a wonderful cruise control. It wasn't the Adaptive type of course but I remember that when coasting downhill, if the speed went too high, the car would downshift and slow me down. Approaching hills was just as good. The car seemed to know when an uphill grade started and then applied appropriate and very smooth acceleration. I think the issue lies with the crappy 9-speed transmissions. The programmers can't get it right because the 9-speed has a mind of its own. The two are like oil and water. I can't speak for the 10-speed ACC combo. Mine is a 2018 EX.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Every book I've ever read said cruise control is not for stop and go/city traffic, nor is it meant for use in mountains/hilly areas. Isn't this normal Cruise Control behavior?

I don't doubt by now that some car makers have systems that can keep speed up and slow down accordingly with cruise control though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every book I've ever read said cruise control is not for stop and go/city traffic, nor is it meant for use in mountains/hilly areas. Isn't this normal Cruise Control behavior?
Why should we as consumers accept those limitations?

·
Registered
266 Posts
We bought our vehicles with at least a basic idea of what they were capable of. Would you have not bought the vehicle knowing that the ACC functions as such?

I mean as consumers what can we do besides hack the system we paid for and own? I'd pay for a hack that let's me set any speed. Is there a hack that will stiffen up the cruise control?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Improve it, maybe. "Fix it", not unless you incorporate GPS with elevation data and program it to be proactive using that data instead of reactive like it currently is. Won't be cheap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ACC Cruise on the 2021 and up Ody can operate down to 0 mph. You do have to press the gas if it goes to 0 to get started again. On hills I have seen the same issues you are mentioning. You would think with all the new whiz bang sensors it could do a better job at this but it has to be a design goal. Another thing that is annoying with the ACC I have seen cars on the freeway with a 3 car following distance and the following car is braking because the car in front is slowing down. Most people with a 3 car following distance are not going to brake like this, but the computer does and its really annoying following someone with this engaged. Its like they are braking for no reason until you realize they have ACC engaged and its trying to keep an exact 3 car follow distance no matter what. It seems dangerous when there is tight traffic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We have a 2019 Odyssey Elite (26000 miles owned since new). I just finished a couple of 2500 mile trips and experienced some slow downs going up small but somewhat steep hills. In this case I got the feeling it was the cruise control radar sensing the hill as a vehicle thus slowing the car down. As soon as the hill crest was visible the car sped back up. This was a first for me and this vehicle.

Going down a big hill I am now putting it into Sport mode and down shifting one or two gears, usually to 4th, which seems to slow down to and hold the set cruise control speed. At or near the bottom of the hill I set back to Drive.

Just downshifting in Drive usually returns to normal too soon.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Uphill, the vehicle will lose about 15 mph before it figures out it needs to accelerate. Often the eventual acceleration is sluggish at first and then at some random point it puts the hammer down.
Slowing down when going uphill might be a gas saving thing. When I encounter this with my older cruise, I'll press on the gas pedal to keep the speed up. Then at the crest I'll remove my foot and and let the cruise control continue it's job. But my cruise is not Adaptive, so I have to 'Adapt' it!

Reactions: King Kong TO

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,130 Posts
I don't doubt by now that some car makers have systems that can keep speed up and slow down accordingly with cruise control though.
As I mentioned, my 2002 Ody was perfectly capable of all these things on level or hilly roads. Why did Honda crap the bed on this so-called "advanced design?" It's been about 20 years and they went backwards on this feature.

I agree too that the ACC on a moderately busy highway can almost make you car sick because it constantly "hunts" the car in front of you and if that driver is not driving smoothly, you'll lose your lunch. The algorithms need smoothing out.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
271 Posts
I have no issue with either my 19 or 20 EX. Other posters here had the issue on the 5th Gen. The suggestion was to take it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
It really does seem like the system is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The issues are with the design, not due to malfunctioning. Good luck getting a dealership to fix something that isn't broken and working exactly as designed.....but falls short of your expectations. Not being insulting here either. There may be slight adjustments that can be made to improve it, but it's not "broken" per-se, so based purely on the design there's really nothing to "fix".

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I have a 2018 Elite. I have no problems with my cruise, going uphill or down hill, uphill I would normally lose 1 mph but if it is a long hill it will catch back up to set speed. If it was ODY on a 2021 and 2022, I would be taking it back to the dealer to adjust the ACC, this is not rocket science for them, they hop on a laptop and adjust it until it is correct. Not every vehicle in the world comes out absolutely perfect. There will be some bugs, body problems, interior noises, engine noises, body groans. Remember it is a assembly line, and the car is drove to a large parking lot and shipped out by trucks, ships and yes sometimes driven to place of purchase. If you cannot take it to the dealer- my thought is don't complain about it till you give them a fair chance to check into it. I f they cannot fix it, now is the time to start making noise with the Dealer management, HondaCare, you can even complain on this Forum, but give the dealer a chance!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
271 Posts
I have no problems with my cruise, going uphill or down hill, uphill I would normally lose 1 mph but if it is a long hill it will catch back up to set speed.
This is exactly my experience 1mph is normal. 15-20 under/over is excessive. There is too much variance.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
This is exactly my experience 1mph is normal. 15-20 under/over is excessive. There is too much variance.
I agree 100%, there is something wrong with the ODY's ACC and needs adjusted.

Reactions: tritan

·
Registered
513 Posts
Improve it, maybe. "Fix it", not unless you incorporate GPS with elevation data and program it to be proactive using that data instead of reactive like it currently is. Won't be cheap.
The problem is that it doesn’t even reactively respond in an over speed scenario. It just lets it happen.

Reactive response if perfectly acceptable it it actually does just that. They just didn’t program that function into the sequence of operation.

My Ford Escape does reactively respond to under speed as well as over speed situations when it encounters them while using ACC. It does it quite well. My Honda Odyssey Touring does not stop the van from an over speed condition at all. If the Honda is left unattended to “adaptively control” then you can find yourself excessively speeding when going down medium and large hills.

They have the technology to implement the functionality of this feature, they are most likely reserving it for a future ‘refresh’.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just finished a trip from southern Arizona to eastern Montana using mostly back roads and the cruise in my 18 Touring.

Initially I just turned on the cruise and made sure it wasn't in economy mode. I wasn't too unhappy with the uphill performance on hills up to about 4%, found a manual downshift helped maintain speed on the steeper ones.

Going down on the other hand was pretty frustrating (due to my error) as I'd shift down and the Ody would soon shift back up and overspeed. Realizing my error I just tapped the shifter into S mode at the top of the hill and my manually selected gear was held until I released it.

Kinda fun coming down a hill in 4th and 5,000 RPM even if the spouse fusses. Only had to use 3rd on one hill that looked to be about 9%.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts