Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
The problem is that it doesn’t even reactively respond in an over speed scenario. It just lets it happen.
I get it. What @jonwright describes is excessive. I'm guessing they live in a very hilly or mountainous area, which cruise control systems in general don't like and don't work as well as on flat roads. There's certainly room for improvement (adjustments). Obvious first step, and may help. But it's setting up sensors to allow it to react better for the coditions they encounter, not really fixing the underlying reactive nature of the system.

As @Stan-qaz just described, even when working "properly and acceptably," it still may require manual inputs from the driver from time to time. (Sounds like a fun AZ-MT trip)

·
Registered
513 Posts
As @Stan-qaz just described, even when working "properly and acceptably," it still may require manual inputs from the driver from time to time. (Sounds like a fun AZ-MT trip)
I get that we are not going to find a solution by talking about it here. This feedback really needs to go to Honda. Unfortunately from my experience this feedback falls on def ears, so here I go…

In my opinion (you don’t need to say, I already know it’s value), if a system is designed to automatically maintain the speed of a vehicle, and it is being marketed with ‘Adaptive cruise control’ then it should be capable of maintaining the speed on a descent. I gave this a blind eye when technology was not yet capable or affordable to achieve this and it was just marketed as ‘cruise control’ but they literally have all the required components and technology installed to achieve this right now and they just haven’t. For the record I would have been happy to have paid extra for this feature to be included if that is what it took.

I’ll admit that it’s my fault for not catching this on the test drives. I gave them more credit than they apparently deserved, we’ve had great experiences with all our Honda’s previously, but there are little items like this that you expect to be included in the van because it was available on the other vehicles that were tested and all the components are there for it to be possible, only to find that It was not included. I guess I’m just bitter because they dropped the ball so many times with this van.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If your ACC light comes on, amber or green, solid or blinking, its signifying a problem, most often a dirty radar cover or an overheating camera. I just learned that this morning. I didn't know anything about ACC so I downloaded the 2018 manual. I also learned that it is just regular old cruise control with distance monitoring between you and a vehicle cruising at a similar speed in front of you. Honestly it sounds more dangerous than useful, after reading EVERYTHING the manual had to say about it. I screenshotted a few things I took note of.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle

Font Number

It warns you that it does not apply the brake when coasting, as you would downhill.

Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

And now here is a list of reasons I'll stick to plain old Cruise Control.

Font Number Document

So if we break all this 2018 Owners Manual information down, it's basically a several page long warning to never trust it to brake for you. The sole function of ACC is that it brakes or coasts for you.

That being said, your plain old Cruise Control has to be out of whack if you're experiencing that much of a speed drop. I've noticed my 2009 EX is a bit laggy when it reaches an incline, as if it needs a moment to realize that the speed had dropped 3-5mph already at the most. Perhaps there's a firmware upgrade for yours? Have you documented the actual speed drops? I'm curious to know what a dealer would recommend.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,132 Posts
I get that we are not going to find a solution by talking about it here. This feedback really needs to go to Honda. Unfortunately from my experience this feedback falls on def ears, so here I go…

In my opinion (you don’t need to say, I already know it’s value), if a system is designed to automatically maintain the speed of a vehicle, and it is being marketed with ‘Adaptive cruise control’ then it should be capable of maintaining the speed on a descent. I gave this a blind eye when technology was not yet capable or affordable to achieve this and it was just marketed as ‘cruise control’ but they literally have all the required components and technology installed to achieve this right now and they just haven’t. For the record I would have been happy to have paid extra for this feature to be included if that is what it took.

I’ll admit that it’s my fault for not catching this on the test drives. I gave them more credit than they apparently deserved, we’ve had great experiences with all our Honda’s previously, but there are little items like this that you expect to be included in the van because it was available on the other vehicles that were tested and all the components are there for it to be possible, only to find that It was not included. I guess I’m just bitter because they dropped the ball so many times with this van.
Hey PJones. Don't beat yourself up on this. There are thousands of loyal Honda owners who bought the 5th generation based on older Honda quality and service, only to realize that Honda changed its business model for the worse. A lot of us got duped by crappy build quality, stupid design features, totally unreliable electronics, cheaply made parts, and piss poor attitudes from the dealer and Honda Corp. Honda's short term profits on the 5th generation will be dwarfed by a mass exodus in a few years to other more reliable cars, if they can be found :ROFLMAO:.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There are thousands of loyal Honda owners who bought the 5th generation based on older Honda quality and service, only to realize that Honda changed its business model for the worse. A lot of us got duped by crappy build quality, stupid design features, totally unreliable electronics, cheaply made parts, and piss poor attitudes from the dealer and Honda Corp. Honda's short term profits on the 5th generation will be dwarfed by a mass exodus in a few years to other more reliable cars, if they can be found :ROFLMAO:.
At the time we bought our 2016 EX-L, it was the only minivan that allowed three car seats abreast in the 2nd row. That is the single reason why we went with the Ody. We upgraded from the 2016 to a 2018 EX-L because of Android Auto integration, seat memory, and the safety tools (including ACC). I am happy we got the 2018.

HOWEVER, now that our oldest child sits in the wayback now, we no longer care about getting a third car seat in the second row. Honda's lack of PHEV or AWD or any other significant innovation definitely has me thinking about what is next. While even just the thought of getting a Chrysler makes me feel like I need to put a brown paper bag on my head in shame, I really want a PHEV minivan.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
271 Posts
I really want a PHEV minivan.
PHEV is not for everyone (just yet), for differing reasons. For example, not everyone has an outlet where they park. This is why it is not mainstream (yet).

When the time comes, and when battery capacities (and charging abilities) improve, I would love an all electric Ody.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX-L
184 Posts
Uphill, the vehicle will lose about 15 mph before it figures out it needs to accelerate. Often the eventual acceleration is sluggish at first and then at some random point it puts the hammer down. This behavior is especially annoying at relatively low speeds because it often doesn't react fast enough to avoid dropping below 22 mph and disengaging. I'm sure this behavior is also especially annoying to anyone driving behind me.
Not sure if this would help, but is your Ody muzzled?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can manually override the ACC by pressing down on the gas without turning it off .I do this often in heavy traffic when people are cutting in front of me and I don't want the overreactive ACC slamming on the brakes. You can also do this to pass. Once you let off of the gas the car will resume ACC once it coasts down to your set speed. Downhill coasting, as someone else suggested, can be controlled by manually downshifting with the paddle shifters

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the ACC on our 2019 EX-L and it is as much junk as the rest of the van is. Seriously, I turned it off and use "old school" cruise without the auto distance function. It still loses 2-3 mph from the moment you press the button to set it. Quite annoying. The cruise is not very aggressively programed so if you try to press the button to increase the mph it takes a few presses for it to do anything.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I have the ACC on our 2019 EX-L and it is as much junk as the rest of the van is. Seriously, I turned it off and use "old school" cruise without the auto distance function. It still loses 2-3 mph from the moment you press the button to set it. Quite annoying. The cruise is not very aggressively programed so if you try to press the button to increase the mph it takes a few presses for it to do anything.
The cruise contol can be adjusted by Honda. Have you ever seen any of the Star Trek Next Generation series or movies? Do you know when they engage to go to warp speed what happens? There is a delay of time and then it engages. The delay is what is happening on your cruise... I would not want my ODY to be aggressive, it would go full throttle and then it would start a series of hunting (up and down of speed)to achieve the correct speed but when going up in speed it would try to go full throttle. The easiest way to control the cruise is not have the GAIN (upward speed) set to high, and than their is a stability control which attempts to keep the speed steady. Balancing the two together is not as easy. My ODY is exactly where I like it, smooth transition to set point, but not full throttle either and than the stability takes over to keep that speed constant, if it hits a hill the gain increases (throttle) smoothly speeding upward and than the gain takes the throttle to a lower throttle where the set point is matched it slowly releases the throttle down to set point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The cruise contol can be adjusted by Honda. Have you ever seen any of the Star Trek Next Generation series or movies? Do you know when they engage to go to warp speed what happens? There is a delay of time and then it engages. The delay is what is happening on your cruise... I would not want my ODY to be aggressive, it would go full throttle and then it would start a series of hunting (up and down of speed)to achieve the correct speed but when going up in speed it would try to go full throttle. The easiest way to control the cruise is not have the GAIN (upward speed) set to high, and than their is a stability control which attempts to keep the speed steady. Balancing the two together is not as easy. My ODY is exactly where I like it, smooth transition to set point, but not full throttle either and than the stability takes over to keep that speed constant, if it hits a hill the gain increases (throttle) smoothly speeding upward and than the gain takes the throttle to a lower throttle where the set point is matched it slowly releases the throttle down to set point.
You sound like you have never driven any other car. I have not felt a single vehicle "hunt" for a gear in a while unless I was towing a pretty heavy load. No, the cruise control in virtually every other vehicle sets at the speed that is displayed and does NOT lose speed immediately. Seriously, I am thinking you just got your license or something or are maybe just completely unaware of how virtually every other vehicle drives. No one here said full throttle. You made that assumption and it really shows lack of comprehension. I hit several hills and the thing has to jump down several gears just to get up the hills due to the lack of torque it produces. It's a heavy vehicle and they need to do better.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
While I agree with that sentiment, in the real world it doesn't function that way because apparently Honda chose fuel sipping over function

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,132 Posts
While I agree with that sentiment, in the real world it doesn't function that way because apparently Honda chose fuel sipping over function.
Agreed. They had to choose "fuel sipping" (good analogy) over function and yet, they continue to load these beasts with gas guzzling options that we really don't need. The heavy electrical demands cause the alternator to spin up on a regular basis, hence, costing extra fuel. Honda and the other car makers are looking to the laws of physics for a "free lunch" where none exits. As Scotty on Star Trek said, "You can-naw change the laws of physics!"

21 - 36 of 36 Posts