Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased a 2012 EX-L NAV, and I'm planning a trip from Tampa, FL to Nashville, TN at the end of March. I did not get the RES package; I figured the kids can just bring their laptops/phones etc and use them for entertainment.

I'm hoping to use a couple power inverters off the various accessory outlets in the van to power all this gear, does anyone know how these are wired? Specifically are they on the same circuit, and should I be concerned about the combined current draw using more than one of these outlets at a time?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hope this answers your question: See p176 of your owner manual

"The accessory power socket is designed to supply
power for 12 volt DC accessories that are rated 120
watts or less (10 amps).

To prevent battery drain, only use the power socket
with the engine running.

When each sockets is being used simultaneously, the
combined power rating of the accessories should not
exceed 120 watts (10 amps)."

It seems safer to have them run on the battery and only recharge when necessary.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why would you run phones and Ipads, etc off a converter? These devices plug directly to DC current, and take little power. If you have to run an inverter for a laptop, the input rating and output ratings are part of the specs that you are buying..... read up on how much the laptop draws to charge. I would venture to guess not that much. Overall, I think the power output of the van is probably enough to power multiples of these types of devices without cause for any concern.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice find. Output is 110V @ 100W, which is just below the 10A limit mentioned in the owners manual (10A @ 12V....) However, I wonder how much is lost due to heat / conversion...so that the actual input wattage is closer to the 120W limit.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well if you get the Touring Elite with the power outlet in the 3rd row, it offers the following output:

The AC power outlet is designed to supply power for up to 115 volt appliances that are rated 150 watts or less.

;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been running power converters for years, without issue. Although I do agree with an earlier poster if your using it for phones and pc's you should just get the dc adapter. Now as far as my inverter, I use it for portable DVD player and TV. Mine has two cooling fans so heat is not an issue. I would recommend not starting the vehicle with these in the on position. The sudden surge may cause them, the inverters to trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts