Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to by a 2007 EXL for a very good price but the carfax shows that it was in a rear end accident with mild to moderate damage. I was wondering how much this would impact the price of the Odyssey and more importantly, how much it would affect the resale value. I didn't see any tell tale signs of damage but have any of you been in this situation and if so, what impact did it have on price and/on your decision to buy the car? By the way, it is advertised as a Honda certified car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Going through this right now with a car I was going to trade in...because of a minor (and I mean minor) accident that shows on carfax, my trade in value has taken a pretty good hit. One dealership said 15% to 20%.

Since you are BUYING a van with an accident history, you should be able to get it at a discount. If it's 15% today and it's 15% when you go to sell and the value of the van today is higher than when you will sell it, you should come out ahead. 15% of $10,000 is more money than 15% of $5,000.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I went through this one year ago when trying to sell my dad's '06 EX-L. It had a fairly light front end hit to the tune of about $4000 in repairs. On a straight sale, Honda dealers were offering $14,500 (compared to a book wholesale of about 18 at the time). It had low mileage - less than 30K.

If you keep it a long time, its diminished value will eventually decline to little or nothing.

My personal view is to NEVER buy a late model vehicle with a damage history. The potential for problems outweighs any price advantage.

There are plenty of other (never damaged) Odysseys for sale.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Pretty much agree with Tri-C here. It comes down to what it's worth to you. If you plan to keep it many years and it's been fixed correctly it could be an ok deal as the diminished value will decrease. I would probably want to save a couple grand before even considering it and that would require a very thorough inspection of the repairs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pass on it!

in 2008 My father bought a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L with a reported front end damage for a great price. The headlights are now all fogged over and both front quarter panels have rust bubble on the lips from when they screwed the wheel liner in underneath. All this is due to aftermarket parts although the car looked mint when pick up. He tried trading in earlier this year on a new Accord and both local Honda dealers would not even take it with a accident reported. PASS and run! Saving now will get you later!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
It's a roll of the dice........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts