Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys compare the difference between the two? At fill-up, I usually calculate the actual MPG myself. It consistently comes out to be about 1.5 LOWER than the one reported by the computer. i.e., if the computer reports 23.x, the calculated MPG amounts to 22.x.

Curious to see what other people are seeing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you guys compare the difference between the two? At fill-up, I usually calculate the actual MPG myself. It consistently comes out to be about 1.5 LOWER than the one reported by the computer. i.e., if the computer reports 23.x, the calculated MPG amounts to 22.x.

I think what you are experiencing is pretty common. The computer is just an approximation and is usually a tad optimistic.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

I don't check at every fill-up but it goes both ways, around +/- 1 MPG in my case. Last time I checked there my calculation was 0.4 MPG above the trip computer number.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We just got our EX-L yesterday night so we have no idea. But on our previous RDX and my Audi (the ody is my wifeys car), the reported MPG was always on the optimistic side +1~2mpg. FYI, gas milage on the RDX is horrible. I can't believe we are now going to drive a much bigger, heavier car and get 30% better gas milage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Please post back after a few trips to confirm that number, especially city :)
HA! We were getting 19mpg (EPA is 22mpg) in the RDX with 90% highway commute with moderate to heavy traffic. So if we are anywhere near the 26mpg mark we will be extremely happy. Plus the RDX requires premium fuel which the ody doesn't, another win!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't forget that the shutoff for the pump varies so one reading isn't necessarily accurate. Over time, if you average everything, it should even out. You might also want to check the accuracy of your odometer since 1 or 2% off isn't uncommon.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm pretty much bang on. But either way I do it the published numbers, as with other manufactures, were measured on the roads of fantasy land. I'm getting about a mile per gallon better on my 2011 than I was getting on the 2005 I traded. All around town driving so far. Haven't had a chance to take a highway trip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a spreadsheet that tracks mileage (actual gallons put in vs the computer reported on the trip odo). On average, the computer is 0.7 MPG optimistic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts